Default Cartridge trimming

Wilson case gauge? First of all I don?t have one. I was reading on another site and the subject came up about trimming the cartridge after Full Length Sizing to use the Wilson tool. I use the Forster tool and the pilot fits the cartridge before resizing but not after resizing. Full length resizing reduces the neck diameter and that?s why my pilot won?t go into the neck, I?ve tried it out of curiosity. I?ve always, and was taught 30 years ago to trim and clean before resizing. Opinions?

John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

1. Maybe you're using the wrong pilot - like .311" in a .308" cartridge.
    2. Clean before sizing - saves grit abrasion in die.
    3. Trim after sizing - cases often "grow" during FL sizing; measure before and after sizing to see how much.

In order to trim after full length resizing, I expand the necks with the Lyman “M” die first.

Don’t adjust expander so as to allow the “step” to enter the case mouth.

Blog Entries

I have a wilson or similar hand cranked unit that I rarely use,

I have (or maybe had, I may have sold it,, been a while ) a Dillon trimmer for 30.06 and 5.56/223,
    noisy, messy, and I still had to go in and chamfer each round in and out of the case mouth,

I jumped on the Gracey bandwagon and have not looked back,

Giraud and others make a nice trimmer as well,

be sure get the case guage and measure or check to see if you really need to trim, (after sizing, )

5. Default

I jumped on the Gracey bandwagon and have not looked back,

Giraud and others make a nice trimmer as well,

Indeed. Looking for another Gracey, old style. Set up one for .22 the other for .30 cal.

Thanks fellows for the tips. I’ll do experimenting..

John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

I use a Giraud and an un-sized case won't fit in the machine. I usually trim as a last step before priming and after annealing.

Maybe you're using the wrong pilot - like .311" in a .308" cartridge.
    2. Clean before sizing - saves grit abrasion in die.
    3. Trim after sizing - cases often "grow" during FL sizing; measure before and after sizing to see how much.
    Parashooter, I took your advice and went to a smaller pilot. Had the wrong pilot in tool . Cleaned 50 rounds , Checked them for length and they were close to 30-06 length. After resizing they did “grow” a little. Trimmed and where I went to be. Thanks

John in SC

You're welcome. Glad the advice was useful.

10. Default

I have Wilson case gages, my Wilson case gages came with instructions. My best case trimmers are forming dies, I use aircraft counter sinks, hack saws and files with trim dies. In the old days my RCBS case trimmer came with oversized pilots meaning they were designed to be used before sizing. And then I was told I had to set the shoulder back, I would have tried moving the shoulder back or bumping but no one could explain how it was possible. I also use a flat surface or straight edge with the Wilson case gage with a feeler gage.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 05-04-2022 at 09:24. Reason: straight edge