Default Some Trapdoor related trivia

I was recently seeking information regarding the U.S. Centennial International Exposition, that was held at Philadelphia in 1876.
    A booklet, I found on the Smithsonian site, had material that may be of interest to 'trapdoor' Springfield enthusiasts.

The U.S. War Department had extensive displays, outside and inside, the U.S. Government Building at the 1876 Exhibition.

Ordnance Officer, Lt. Henry Metcalfe played a major role in organizing the display of arms and cartridges.

There was also machinery, from Frankford Arsenal, that showed attendees the manufacture of .45-70 cartridges.
    'Souvenir packets' were given to spectators that contained specimens showing the stages of cartridge case forming.

The extensive cartridge display was sent back to F.A. for exhibition and reference.
    It appears a lot of the material was again shown at Chicago's 1893 'World Columbian Exposition.

During early WW2, the FA ammunition display was on the verge of being 'scrapped', when it was rescued by Col. George A. Miller, Jr.,
    who recognized the historic significance of the cartridges and display drawers.

In 1958, Colonel Berkeley R. Lewis facilitated the cartridge collection going to the Smithsonian Institution.
    Col. Lewis helped refine and organize the collection and gave it context by writing a booklet for the Smithsonian,
    "Small Arms Ammunition at the International Exposition Philadelphia, 1876".

Some pictures and pages of interest are attached and a 'link' to the Smithsonian publication is provided:

https://repository.si.edu/bitstream/...11_Lo_res.pdf?

philadelphia 1876 usgov.jpgIMG_9056.jpgIMG_9064.jpgIMG_9071.jpgIMG_9051-Rodman.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 01-06-2022 at 08:49.

Thank you Chuck!!

DSCN2458.jpgDSCN2460.jpg Here is the draw set shown in the booklet and two head stamps one the dummy loaded round from the full set and the blank given out to anyone who wanted one. The full draw set was given to the more distinguished visitors.

And, thank you, Tom!!

Thanks Tom, I am glad someone has examples in their collection.

Another thing to look for at gun shows!

Thanks to both of you for sharing! I would love to have one of those sets Tom. Where did you happen to find it?

I obtained it years ago from a collection being sold. I have not seen a set for sale in some years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    I obtained it years ago from a collection being sold. I have not seen a set for sale in some years.
    Paul Parsons, I'm guessing?

Yes, My great luck was living and working close to Paul Parsons and Bob Hill. The reloading set and almost all cartridge boxes in V-1 of Frasca and Hill belonged to Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    Yes, My great luck was living and working close to Paul Parsons and Bob Hill. The reloading set and almost all cartridge boxes in V-1 of Frasca and Hill belonged to Paul.
    Only met Paul once, but saw Bob with some regularity, especially after he moved north. Some people didn't care for him, but we always got along, and I miss him.