Thread: 1883

Default 1883

1883 was the birth year of my sainted Grandmother Marie Alicia Vincent Turner who died in 1989. Great lady, the daughter and wife of farmer-ranchers. It turns out there's a western series called "1883" Well because of the date and nothing else I decided to watch one of the early episodes last night. The principles are Tim McGraw, Faith Hill and Sam Elliott with some pretty darn good actors in supporting rolls. Billy Bob Thornton is blood curdling sinister as Dallas Sheriff "Long Jim" Courtwright.

Its a series about a group of pioneers heading across the plains, its a prequel to "Yellowstone" which I haven't seen at all.

I was surprised at the authenticity in small things. There is a scene where the gal who plays McGraw and Hill's very fetching daughter is lying in the back of a wagon in her shift with some very hairy armpits. Some of the travelers get very ill from drinking water straight from a river without boiling it. All makeup is used to make the actors look like they aren't wearing it. Faith Hill looks very, very rough, for example.

I plan on watching more.

1883.jpg
    Last edited by Art; 01-03-2022 at 07:05.

Blog Entries

we watched that same episode after watching Yellowstone

seemed like it will be a good series,

not going to pay for + tho,, will wait until the season is over and do the free month thing, or wait till it hits paramount (not +)

Did you watch it on Paramount? That's where I saw it.
    Last edited by Art; 01-03-2022 at 07:07.

I just watched Episode 1 on YouTube. I didn't see any men with trouser belts but lots of suspenders which was the way it actually was. Ft. Worth was rough but not as rough as shown.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Did you watch it on Paramount? That's where I saw it.
    yes. it was a free preview after the episode of Yellowstone last week or the week prior,
    on the normal or non subscription need Paramount channel

I've been getting FB updates from some of my Shoshone-Bannock friends who are extras. Lacey, old admin when I worked there, and who went on the powwow road one day and never came back, is pretty prominent. The show is going all out for authenticity, at least as far as the NDN scenes and characters go. The ladies are all mad about Sam Elliott! I might watch it when I can figure out how to do it for free.

jn