Default Converting the Model 1903 to 22 RF and making scope mounts

A few years ago when the CMP was selling low number 1903 barreled actions for $100
    I bought one. The bore was burned-out and I decided to have a quality 22 Long Rifle
    barrel liner installed with an extended breech to fit the M2 bolt. Found a nice M2 bolt
    with adjustable headspace and this rifle had excellent accuracy. I did not like the
    sights and decided to make a rear mount with a radius over the receiver which I cut
    dovetails. This mount is attached to the rear sight base into the barrel. Also made a
    tall front barrel block and cut a rectangle slot in a WW2 handguard to fit. As I had
    an old Lyman 438 scope which had just been restored by Iron Sight, I used this scope.dscn3863.jpgdscn3862.jpgdscn3822.jpg

That is a great job

Now that rear sight set up is what I have been looking for. Would you make another for me??
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

Default converting the Model 1903 to 22 rim fire

Anyone that has a good gunsmith can make this mount out of half inch bar
    stock. it is a very tight fit and the mount has to be tapped in with plastic
    hammer. The barrel has to be drilled and tapped through the rear sight
    base into the barrel.

Now the choice as to which magazine adoption to employ. Numrich
    still had some modified 03A3 trigger housing but require a bolt modification
    and feed ramp. The original M2 magazine assembly will require the
    receiver feed ramp to be ground out to receive the M2 magazine plus
    a trigger housing insert to support the magazine catchdscn3873.jpgdscn3868.jpg
    Last edited by RCS; 01-15-2022 at 10:15.

That is a nice mount RCS, how does the rifle shoot with it?

I am needing something similar, but while my rifle has been drilled to accept a Lyman 48 rear, there are no holes in the barrel for a front mount, and I'd prefer not to do this. I have been looking at making a Van Wie type scope mount that fits into the 1905 sight base and then attaches to the rear receiver bridge, but maybe with a clamp tightened by a screw rather than just preloaded by the bend in the Van Wie.

You have to keep in mind that the 1905 sight base may move a little ? it may workout but some tighter could be better for
    accuracy.

Accuracy is excellent, the key is to have a quality barrel liner installed by someone who is an expert at this kind of work. Also
    the type of scope being used is important too. I did not want to have the receiver drilled so this was the mount which
    is perfect for my Lyman 438 scope