Default The new BP substitutes

A lot of guys, including some who hunt with us are using Pyrodex or the new 777 in their hunting rifles. My son-in-law has lost 3 elk over the years because his gun went "click" instead of "bang." The people getting reliability with these powders I think are using it in BP cartridge rifles or in muzzle loaders using 209 (shotgun) primers. Those primers are illegal for muzzle loading hunting rifles in the western states, you are stuck using musket caps. Musket caps WILL set off black powder reliably. So that's what we use.

jn

2. Default

Interesting Jon. Only place I know has BP is in Manitou. Wonder if fire regs & insurance concerns are keeping stores from stocking BP. Didn't PA limit the primitive season to flintlocks? Sounds like that would be tough with the synthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Interesting Jon. Only place I know has BP is in Manitou. Wonder if fire regs & insurance concerns are keeping stores from stocking BP. Didn't PA limit the primitive season to flintlocks? Sounds like that would be tough with the synthetics.
    I looked it up. PA has two muzzle loader seasons, one for flintlocks only. From their website:

"A general hunting license is required to hunt in any season.

One antlered deer per license year can be taken with a general hunting license.

An unused, antlered deer harvest tag from a general hunting license can be used to take an antlerless deer during the after-Christmas flintlock muzzleloader season.

This is the only season in which the antlered tag can be used for antlerless deer, and each participant in the flintlock muzzleloader season must have a muzzleloader license in addition to a general license.

A muzzleloader license also is needed to participate in the October muzzleloader season for antlerless deer.

With the lone exception of the flintlock muzzleloader season, each hunter must possess an antlerless deer license or DMAP permit in order to hunt or harvest antlerless deer. One antlerless deer may be taken with each valid license or permit.

Statewide, each hunter is limited to holding a maximum of six unfilled antlerless deer licenses. Hunters who obtain six antlerless licenses may apply for and obtain additional licenses as they harvest antlerless deer and report them, so long as licenses remain available. "

Looks like you can use an in-line gun there in regular season, no mention on sabots. A winter flintlock hunt might be fun - at least you'll have tracking snow. Also, reading between the lines, they may have too many deer and not enough hunters.

jn
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 01-05-2022 at 10:16.

4. Default

It has been said motorists kill more deer than hunters in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    It has been said motorists kill more deer than hunters in PA.
    So, Motorists don't kill too many hunters then?
    Good to know...