Thread: Yugo M2 Ball

1. Default Yugo M2 Ball

Found some "made in Yugoslavia" M2 Ball imported by Sherwood Int'l. lot o1/85 igman KONJIC.

Anyone have experience with this stuff? Wondering if it is non-corrosive, or corrosive.

Have not ever used Yugoslavian M-2. Have fired a pile of common 8mm ball dated between 1955-1957. This ammo was corrosive. Normal cleaning w/ hot water and a bit of dishwashing liquid was completely effective in cleaning and preventing any rust issues. If the price is good, the M-2 should be fine. You can pull a bullet, dump the powder and discharge the primer against a piece of raw steel. Do the same thing w/ a cartridge known to be non-corrosive. Set the pieces of steel aside in a humid area for a couple of days. If neither plate rust from the primer residue, you will have your answer as to the nature of the primer in the M-2 ammo. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Dang, I didn't know the Yugos even had any .30-06 weapons. I bet it was for export.

I'd just assume its corrosive and clean as such. There's actually a sticky on methods used by folks on this forum but you probably knew that. I use bruce's method myself.
    Last edited by Art; 12-30-2021 at 07:15.

One other thought. The number one best way I ever found to clean after firing corrosive or possible corrosive ammo has been to use boiling water w/ a bit of dishwashing liquid to remove any potential problems. I use a common phosphor-bronze brush and stick the muzzle in that scalding hot water. It does not take a long time to remove everything. Follow w/ a couple of patches. Stick them in from the breech and run them down almost to the exit of the muzzle. Pull back and it will work like a water pump. The barrel will get really hot. After say 5 - 10 cycles, push the patch out and let it fall off the cleaning jag. Now, wipe out the dry barrel ( it will dry itself from the heat) and give it a bit of oil on a clean patch. Whole process takes about as much time as making a sandwich. I've fired untold numbers of corrosive ball rounds in 8mm and .30-06 with absolutely excellent results. With a M-1, just remove the op-rod and gas plug and then get yourself a long neck funnel and then run the boiling water down the barrel. Wipe the op-rod button and shaft w/ a cloth dipped in the hot water. You will also want to wipe down and oil the bits and pieces under the handguard and the bottom of the barrel. This gives very excellent results. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

This would not be surplus ammo. This would have been made for commercail sales, sold to wholesellers who then passed it on to the dealers and public. For the most part I remember it being non corrosive BUT don't hole me to it. They had made corrosive primed in the late 60's early 70's too.

6. Default

This is commercial made for export, 1985 lot. IK 85 headstamp.

Found this. http://ammo.freetzi.com/yugoslav.htm

Gonna play it safe for the first session.
    Last edited by barretcreek; 01-04-2022 at 10:09.