Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Unfinished Krag projects?🤗

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Unfinished Krag projects?��
    Well, yes. Have never addressed the issues with my BoOF rifles. 388786 sits in an uncartouched carbine stock with 1902C sight. I'm not convinced it's wrong, but it certainly makes one wonder. 389182 is 100% kosher save for a bobbed [1902] stock, cut 1/4" ahead of the band. My 482440 sits in a nice 1902 (wrong) stock. I've been thinking of reworking that stock for the later 26" - which metal is not quite as nice as the other - but it's virgin.

The benefit of using my stock is not having to fit a forend with the attendant color/grain issues; all work could be concealed. The downside is that I'm loathe to cut a good stock to make something phony.

So there I sit! I only "need" one BoOF, though it is kinda fun to actually have two (of the 100) both picked off Gunbroker for very (VERY in the case of the virgin) low prices.

3. Default

Might be best just to leave them as they are. A reasonably nice BOF rifle just went through an auction recently for an equally reasonable price so they do turn up. As an aside, the rifle pictured on the dust cover of Brophy?s Krag book is a Board of Fortifications model.

Just for grins, what was the "reasonable" price? Do you by any chance have the auction listing?

I did not know - or had totally forgotten - about Brophy's dust jacket.

About turning up - there just CANNOT be too many of them left - and I've never encountered a proper one!

The carbine stocked one is nowhere near as unhandy as you might think, other than for hunting in thick cover, probably shorter than some English 'stalking rifles'.

5. Default

As I remember around $6000, but it was a year or so ago and I did not really look at it as I have one already. I thought it should have gone for more.
    I?m heading to the Tulsa Gun show this WE . If I look hard enough there is a guy that has been bringing the best BOF rifle I have ever seen to the show for years. He never prices it and I really don?t think it?s for sale. He just likes to talk about it.

Thanks. Is your number on the KCA list? Is his? I like to keep track of tidbits!

7. Default

Mine, yes . I don?t know his name, but he isn?t there this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why question marks show up for apostrophes.

Mr. Hosmer, could you be persuaded to post pictures of your Krag's? Thanks, jim

Don't really have many of them available, and I REALLY dislike the cumbersome photo process here, but will see what I can do. Anything in particular you are interested in? Am REALLY busy with non-gun family responsibilities right now, so bug me if I don't get on this right away.

Dick, what convinced you that the barrel was still in 30-03?
    All of the 03’s that I’ve owned or observed over the years with an 05 barrel date on them were converted to 30-06.