Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Jon, little thread drift here.
    Found a bayonet adapter for my 870. Did the Army ever have dummy rifles for use in bayonet training? Don't feel like leaving a real weapon lying around but a fake would be o.k.
    You've got me on that one. I wasn't in the Army and I never heard of dummy rifles. I was in the Coast Guard, we didn't get bayonet training. But I did learn how to deliver a baby.

jn

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    there are plenty out there floating around the interwebz,
    Somewhere around 318,500 made, so not particularly rare.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    You've got me on that one. I wasn't in the Army and I never heard of dummy rifles. I was in the Coast Guard, we didn't get bayonet training. But I did learn how to deliver a baby.

jn
    They had wooden drill rifles, but none that would stand up to bayonet practice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post

jn
    the Army made Dummy or DP type Garands, 1903's and then later on, dummy M16's AK and several other modern weapons
    most of the modern dummies are cast plastic, including some fake or dummy, (or training aid) bayonets,

I have a M16 dummy that is a A1 upper, filled with resin, on a fiberglass receiver, using A1 hardware,
    the trigger moves, as does the mag catch, but no other internals
    not strong enough for bayonet practice

The S&W 1917 fits the hand better than the Colt 1917.
    We have one here at home for ranch/home protection. We don’t use half or full moon clips in it.
    I’d recommend a S&W over a Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Jon, little thread drift here.
    Found a bayonet adapter for my 870. Did the Army ever have dummy rifles for use in bayonet training? Don't feel like leaving a real weapon lying around but a fake would be o.k.
    Yes -- back after the Civil War, the Army had "fencing muskets" for bayonet training. When I was going through Basic and Advanced Infantry Training, we used the issue M1 -- with scabbard on for man-on-man training, and without the scabbard for man-on-dummy.

6. Default

I seldom shoot my S&W 1917 but when I do I use handloaded .45 auto rim. Not a big fan of the moon clips. Removing the spent cases is always tedious. I've handled the Colts but never owned one.

7. Default

They make a tool for removing the cases from the clips, but I just shoot mine without the clips. Only takes a few seconds to remove the fired cases one at the time.

.45 Auto Rim is easy to get and not all that expensive. I loaded up 500 rounds for a friend of mine (he has the Colt) a year of so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    .45 Auto Rim is easy to get and not all that expensive. I loaded up 500 rounds for a friend of mine (he has the Colt) a year of so ago.
    Thanks a lot Vern. I didn't know they even still made the stuff!

jn

I bought an M1917 Colt in a pawn shop in Batesville, AR in '61 or '62 for about $15-$20 (couldn't 't have been more -- I didn't have more in those days.) I gave it to a girl who loved to ride through the hills -- she had ridden up on some unsavory characters. But with that big iron on her hip, that problem went away.

I bought a New Service in .45 Colt for $350 several years back. It had been reblued and shot high and to the left. After trying everything, I cut the barrel to 5 1/2", put on adjustable sights and Herrett Shooting Master grips. I carry it in an El Past Saddlery pancake holster, and it conceals well with a shirt draped over it.

I like a 255 grain Wide Flatnose or a semi-wadcutter of the same weight loaded ahead of 11 grains of HS 6.