Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any thoughts on the 1917 .45 Colt/S&W revolvers?

I've reached a stage in my life where a handgun might be of some use. Until it was stolen I had my grandfather's Colt police positive special - a good, accurate pistol but I could only get two fingers around the grip. I've seen the 1917s around and like the size of them, also the abundance of ammo and the half-moon clip feature. Anything I should know before I go out looking for one? I would love to read others' experiences.

jn

I've never owned either. I was, at one time issued a totally ragged out .38 Special Colt New Service (same basic gun as a 1917) that had the barrel cut down to 2." that was a funny looking gun. It was so out of time I got a "click" at least once every six shots.

I've shot a bunch of revolvers and IMHO if actual utility is a major factor and given a choice with a used revolver I'd chose a S&W and that isn't just my prejudices talking. The Colts also tend to be more expensive, sometimes a lot more expensive. If the timing is good and it doesn't rattle either will be a good choice though. The Colts are a little bit bigger than the "Smiths."

The big frame pre WWII revolvers can also be found in .45 Colt and .44 Special/Russian though the ammo isn't as available. I'd advise against a converted Webley if you plan on shooting it a lot.
    Last edited by Art; 12-12-2021 at 12:03.

3. Default

Friend has a Brazilian contract Smith. Local guy, ret'd LE does amazing trigger jobs but he can't find parts for pre-war Smiths so he just did what he could on that gun. So check it out carefully. My father's pre-war Heavy Duty is in great shape and I only will shoot loads which are heavy enough to avoid a double charge.

I have the S&W version in about 90% condition.
    Also have small hands so it fits me better than the Colt.
    For years, I used the Lyman #452460 200 gr. SWC w/231 powder. This load shot too low at 50 ft., so I left the gun in the safe.
    Then . . . .
    Following Elmer Keith?s lead, I CAREFULLY loaded Lyman?s big #454424 w/2400 powder.
    BINGO! . . . It now shoots to the sights!
    And, the recoil is NOT severe!

Blog Entries

I have a near mint Colt 1917 that I have never shot,
    and a Brazilian contract Smith that I used as a truck gun,
    beat up, but the previous owner replaced the internals ,
    it's wearing more modern Magna grips, and despite the external appearance, the bore is pristine,
    shoots very very well,

I picked up another 45 cal N frame a few months ago, but it's a factory smith, sent to Canada, in 455 ,, in pretty good shape for it's travels

Personally, I prefer the S&W due to the difference in frame size. The Model 1917 Colt was built on the New Service frame which is considerably larger than the S&W. Also, the S&W was finished to a commercial finish where the Colt was left in the early rough stage of polish.

Except for the early Colts to about serial number 30450, the revolvers can be fired without the half moon clips, but the empties must be picked out one at the time.
    Last edited by Johnny P; 12-14-2021 at 07:35.

7. Default

Since neither has been manufactured in decades, good luck finding one. I have both, the Colt has a much heavier trigger pull. S&W grips do not fit me, for shooting my S&Ws wear either Herrett's or Pachmayrs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    Since neither has been manufactured in decades, good luck finding one. I have both, the Colt has a much heavier trigger pull. S&W grips do not fit me, for shooting my S&Ws wear either Herrett's or Pachmayrs.
    there are plenty out there floating around the interwebz,

Man I looked for one of those revolvers on Gunbroker the other day. I found one of them that was under $1,000.00 - listed as a project gun! I messed my right shoulder up again, enough that relying on an edged weapon for home defense is a little iffy. At those prices, maybe I'll stick with the blade, just train to use it left-handed.

jn

10. Default

Jon, little thread drift here.
    Found a bayonet adapter for my 870. Did the Army ever have dummy rifles for use in bayonet training? Don't feel like leaving a real weapon lying around but a fake would be o.k.