Default M1917 Forge to Finish

I came across this on YouTube. It's a brief film clip on the production of the M1917 rifle. It's made up of actual footage shot during the production of the rifles. I found it interesting.

link to YouTube clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39wM-lzDWE4

2. Default

Ha! The Marines never had 1917s.

Thanks for an interesting video.
    Last edited by barretcreek; 12-05-2021 at 11:23.

Very interesting video. There was a video that followed on the Browning Automatic Rifle that was also filmed in 1918. With so many eye-balled procedures, it’s amazing that the quality of the finished product was so good.
    Last edited by Merc; 12-06-2021 at 03:47.

That was interesting. You had to pay attention working in a place like that.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Man, dryheat is right, you wanted to count your fingers at the end of the shift. No safety glasses in sight.

This has a brief showing of a Blanchard Lathe in action.

There are more guys than you would have thought working on the floor wearing ties.

A lot of black guys in the "slushing" and "packing" departments.
    Last edited by Art; 12-12-2021 at 11:33.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Man, dryheat is right, you wanted to count your fingers at the end of the shift. No safety glasses in sight.

This has a brief showing of a Blanchard Lathe in action.

There are more guys than you would have thought working on the floor wearing ties.

A lot of black guys in the "slushing" and "packing" departments.
    it was the proper dress code for some machinist,

when I took a class on machine shop back in the 90's, we got a lecture on the first day on dress code, (no ties, nothing with strings, unless it tied behind your back, )
    the instructor was an ex NASA machinist, he told us they had to wear ties, with a coat,
    not dress coat but the white doc's type cover,

one thing I learned was that chips will get in your pocket if you were a shirt with a pocket, even a tshirt, and they will cut thru the fabric and cut you when you move about

Interesting video! I'd agree about the keeping an eye (and ear) on matters whilst at work!
    Tommy

Actually, the Marines were loaned 60,000 M1917s (Winchester manufactured) in the spring of 1918. They were returned to the Army in 1920. Some 1917s were carried by replacements for the 4th Marine Brigade. See : https://usmcweaponry.com/wwi-usmc-m1903s-2/ There is a few entries about the Marine Corps employment of the M1917.......

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cfn1803 View Post
    Actually, the Marines were loaned 60,000 M1917s (Winchester manufactured) in the spring of 1918. They were returned to the Army in 1920. Some 1917s were carried by replacements for the 4th Marine Brigade. See : https://usmcweaponry.com/wwi-usmc-m1903s-2/ There is a few entries about the Marine Corps employment of the M1917.......
    Thanks.