Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 6 months in the wilderness; what rifle would you take ? ...

Many yeas ago, sometime in the sixties, I read an article I think in the
    American Rifleman about a small group of Men who had the time and
    ability to go off into the wild for a six month period - singly, not together
    they did not know each other. It struck me as funny that each said the
    rifle they took was a powerful one, 30-06, 338. 308. Now if I had not
    read that article and I was asked what I would favor I'd have said a 22.
    Plus a magnum revolver, but the food getter would be a 22. I would
    reason that there is a lot more small game to be had, rabbit. squirrel,
    hare, racoon, groundhog etc than big game. Plus I wouldn't want to
    lug around a leftover deer carcass, especially in the hot sun.
    But, what do I know ? Never done that and too old now to do that.
    What think you ?

Blog Entries

dunno,

your comments on the 22lr are very valid,

however if you are off in the wild, I would want something powerful enough to protect me from whatever wildlife threat there may be,

that 22 may just make a bear mad,,,

related kinda

I have often thought that some of the prepper survivor bug out type people who carry an AR may be better off with a garden variety lever gun, think Winchester 94, that would look less threatening to the avg person you may come across,

I've toyed with that question differently -- if I were to go with the Mountain Men (early 1800s) what modern rifle would I take?

1. It would have to be powerful -- you're dealing with buffalo, griz and the occasional hostile Indian.
    2. It has to have iron sights -- nothing against scopes, but if the scope fails, there has to be a backup. Bonus points for an aperture sight.
    3. It has to be rugged, with few parts to fail, and spare parts should take up as little weight and space as possible.

I looked over my collection, and one rifle leaped out -- the M1903A3 Springfield. (I have two -- a Remington and a Smith-Corona.)

For small game, a Hammonds Game Getter. That's a cartridge case with an off-center "flash hole." The "flash hole" is actually a chamber for a .22 rimfire. You load a .22 nail-setting blank, put a sized buckshot in the case mouth and you have a greatl squirrel gun. You can carry the whole thing in your shirt pocket.

The trouble I'd have with taking a 1903 is the bolt. If you removed the bolt to clean
    and bumped it it would slip off the cam and you'd be up the creek without a rifle.
    A guy at the range with one did exactly that. The buggers in the shack sent him to
    me saying I was a Mause expert (huh), so I sent him back. Told him they had a padded
    vice. Suggested he treat the bolt more gingerly next time. All my rifles cock on closing.
    The nearest I ever got to being a Mountain Man was going to Rendezvous with my
    Lyman great Plains Hawken 50 cal. They were great fun.
    Last edited by dogtag; 12-04-2021 at 05:07.

Six months in the wilderness; what rifle would I take? This is easy! I'd take my 03-A4 replica. Now ... as to why. Simple. I've been shooting 03-A3 rifles since 1980. I've been hunting with one or another of them for the same number of years. I have not ever had anything ever get up and run off much less walk or crawl off. I've shot stuff at hard off the muzzle ranges right on out to 200 yds. Have shot some stuff running that went down at the shot and never moved. Did miss a shot on a running dog back about 1982. Was shooting iron sights. Grandmother in law wanted the dog killed. He was running on the other side of the pecan orchard. Second shot was right on target. 130 gr. JHP over a maximum charge of powder. Shot as flat as my bank account and hit like a brick.

Would the .30-06 be enough for all the challenges of the wilderness? I think so. With some nice little cast lead loads, it would be ideal for small game, etc. With some heavier loads of cast lead, it would be outstanding for medium game ... not rip up good meat or blow up bone shards, etc. With common 150 gr. hunting loads, it would be fully capable of handling longer ranged medium game. With good 180 gr. loads, it would be more than equal to dealing with big game of any and all kinds. I would if allowed also carry my beloved S&W Model 18 ... so that I'd have it for shooting whatnot such as snakes, pine cones, dirt clods, etc. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
    The trouble I'd have with taking a 1903 is the bolt. If you removed the bolt to clean
    and bumped it it would slip off the cam and you'd be up the creek without a rifle.
    A guy at the range with one did exactly that. The buggers in the shack sent him to
    me saying I was a Mause expert (huh), so I sent him back. Told him they had a padded
    vice. Suggested he treat the bolt more gingerly next time. All my rifles cock on closing.
    The nearest I ever got to being a Mountain Man was going to Rendezvous with my
    Lyman great Plains Hawken 50 cal. They were great fun.
    I could spend 10 minutes with you and show you how to fix and maintain a 1903 ,, including the bolt issue you describe,

Blog Entries

M4
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

AR or the AK. I love my Swede, but I'm not shooting 300M I wouldn't think. 22; I haven't eaten squirrel, but I'll bet I could pick one off with the Swede.
    So, I was approached by a little black bear (little being subjective as they say). I had my .380 (for people) in my fanny pack. I immediately knew I was "out gunned". I doubt that little pistol round would have even made dent in the fur. Living for six months in the wild; it has to be some kind of rifle.
    Those little nail gun rounds are surprisingly loud in the Remington device.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

My Remington 03-A3 would be my choice if I had to carry just one firearm.

AK47