Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If I didn't think I'd have to engage in close combat and assuming ammunition would not be an issue...I would take a Savage Model 24 in .22 WMR over 20 gauge shotgun. I would have a variety of shot shells from slugs to birdshot.

If I thought I might have problems with hostile bipedal primates, I'd be with Major Tom.
    Last edited by Art; 12-05-2021 at 07:53.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    If I didn't think I'd have to engage in close combat and assuming ammunition would not be an issue...I would take a Savage Model 24 in .22 WMR over 20 gauge shotgun. I would have a variety of shot shells from slugs to birdshot.

If I thought I might have problems with hostile bipedal primates, I'd be with Major Tom.
    You beat me to it Art. Worked with a guy from the UP; that was his only gun. 200 rounds of WMR is about the same as 20 of '06.

One factor to be considered is the six month supply of ammunition. More but lighter to carry on your person. In that regard, the 22 LR wins hands down.
    I would feel more secure having the 22 as my rifle. As already mentioned, a sidearm in a business end chambering would be included in the kit. And you don't need a six month supply as if going to the range. Just enough for the possible encounter with a predator perhaps three or four times if that much. If constantly attacked, you're going to b somethings lunch sooner or later. Bears, wolves, cats....how much fending off can you do?
    Carrying more ammo burns off more calories so all that ammo will slow you down in more ways than one.

22lr and a good knife goes a very long way.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post

I agree, but would go with the .22/20 ga. I once owned a 24 in .223/20 and it was very versatile. A .20 gauge slug out to about 60 yards will kill anything that walks in the 48 States. A rabbit or squirrel needs to be shot with a .22 and CB caps does it quickly and quietly.

Do I start with a cabin where I can stow my ammo?

If on foot then have to agree, M4 (or clone), bandolier of M193, some lubricating oil. Chrome-lined. Weatherproof. Dunkproof.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    I agree, but would go with the .22/20 ga. I once owned a 24 in .223/20 and it was very versatile. A .20 gauge slug out to about 60 yards will kill anything that walks in the 48 States. A rabbit or squirrel needs to be shot with a .22 and CB caps does it quickly and quietly.
    good choice

Once again, it depends on the wilderness -- I envision something like the Great Plains and Rockies in the 1820s. Read DeVoto's "Across the Wide Missouri," the history of the Mountain Men. For that, it seems to me the '03A3 would be ideal, and a Hammond Game Getter would add frosting to the cake.

The old mountain men were mounted, of course, not on foot, and had pack animals as well. A couple of hundred rounds of .30-06 and a box or two of .22 nail setting blanks would be no great burden -- it would actually be lighter than a .54 Hawken rifle and an equivalent amount of ammo.

For a belt gun, I'm torn between my .45 Ruger Blackhawk and my .45 Colt New Service.

My Lee Enfield No 5 (i.e. the Jungle Carbine). Shoots the .303 British cartridge which is good enough for most medium game; is powerful enough for most predators (probably not a grizzly but it has been done successfully); has a 10 round magazine; is a bit lighter than a full sized rifle and is more manoeverable than a full sized rifle. It can be fitted for a scope but to do so, you have to take off the iron sight.

.22, a good choice. If the 20 gauge can take down most animals then it's the perfect rifle so long as you can still fire bird shot. I kind of hate the 12 gauge. I finished of a snake once with a .38 snake shot(road kill). I hear you can eat rattle snake. I skinned the snake and tried to preserve it, but I didn't know what I was doing. What else are you doing on those six months? You can shoot the place up, but you need water. Probably killed another thread.
    Last edited by dryheat; 12-19-2021 at 08:08.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

10. Default

In addition to the type of wilderness, the terrain, the density of the vegetation, etc., are we talking about having a cabin or fixed camp or being on foot, trekking? Here in the someone more densely forested East, a flat shooting long range rifle isn't that useful, few 100 yard shots.
    I have read that relying on rabbit too much for survival leads to serious health problems.