Default M1917 Eddystone Stock

Our annual trip to Gettysburg for the Remembrance Day festivities during the 3rd weekend in November always includes many hours of combing through the inventories of the antique stores in town. This year, I found and bought a M1917 Eddystone stock complete with both hand guards, the lower barrel band and butt plate for my M1917 Winchester.

The non-original (possibly aftermarket) stock currently on my M1917 Winchester with the “T” stamped on the nose wasn’t all that bad, but I suspect it must have shrunk a lot over the years from being in a dry environment and was very lose around both barrel bands to the point where I had to make and install shims to take up the extra space. I kept my fingers crossed that the Eddystone stock would fit much better, and it did. The barrel no longer rattles around. I haven’t shot it yet but might if the weather stays mild.

I got the Eddystone stock for a very good price because unfortunately, it was lightly sanded. It is especially evident around the finger grooves. I will keep looking for something better, but for now, I will be going with the Eddystone stock.

Who ever did the sanding was careful not to wear down the cartouche, the “P” stamping and inspector stampings. The famous “3GM-K” cartouche is stamped of the left side near the receiver and is bold. I have seen several members on other forums speculate that it stands for a post WW2 rebuild that was supposedly performed by the Kelvinator division of General Motors. It sounds possible, even plausible, but no-one knows for sure.
    Last edited by Merc; 12-04-2021 at 03:06.