Default The M1911 is an Experts Gun

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MT1iV_n3YXo

I've said for years that M1911 type pistols are not for casual users, at least as self defense firearms. In the hands of a person who has spent the time to truly master the weapon a well set up M1911 can be a very good defensive weapon, in the hands of an amateur, and that includes some who have carried it for a living it can be dangerous both to the shooter and unintended targets downrange.

I have owned several M1911s and at one time carried one as a work gun. I do not own one now. I agree with this fellow in principle and disagree only with a few items around the edges that don't count for much.

40 minutes of that guy is just too much. I had rather put $5 on beef jerky than send it to him. Most everyone goes through several carry guns to find the one that works best for them.

"Better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it." from whomever said it.

Blog Entries

I carry a Combat Commander on occasion, and take it to the range when I go,

used to carry a Detonics Combatmaster,, it was a bit cantankerous until I found a load it liked,

I agree with you Art. That's why M1911's were never really that popular with law enforcement, they are too complicated for the non-gun guy.
    - Change it back -

When you see a scratch on the right side of the slide from trying to install the slide stop from the wrong side, you just know it is too complicated for some.

It is what it is, a PDW for individual soldier/officer. In that capacity, it works. If one is going to take the basic pistol and try to use it for everything else under the sun, then its utility diminishes. No one single pistol will meet the ideal needs of every single individual person. Some are more capable than others. The Glock design has greater utility simply b/c it's basic design, manual of arms and calibers available are of use to the vast majority of people. It is no more an experts pistol than is the 1911. Both will work well for even novices when used for the common uses of a self-defense pistol. Either will require a good deal of training if one is to push one or the other to a level of performance or use that is beyond the design intention. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Can't be that complicated if the Soviets copied it for mass production. But everyone has an opinion about everything these days and nobody can handle disagreement.

Our local Village PD carry"s the 1911 Springfield TRP"s and before that G.I. 1911A1"s . We have 8 officers . They have no problem with them and have been using them many decades. Through the government aid program they got the 1911A1's and one is a Singer! They cannot sell them. Along with these in the aid package they got some M16's and M-14's. I have trained with them in some combat pistol class's and they do well. Our Sgt. is on the regional SWAT team. The Chief will not move from them 1911 and the upgrade to the TRP's was about 5 years ago. Now everyone has the same 1911 and they carry 4 extra mags plus the one in there gun and a long gun in the car. I will ad our Sheriff Dept. carry's Glock 21's in 45 acp for the last 3 decades due to failure to stop with the 9 mm.
    Last edited by jeep; 02-09-2023 at 06:10.