Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did I do good??

The gear-driven ones do lack the R, but that alone doesn't mean they are (or are not) the correct ones for the gun. Supposedly, the gear-driven slide, thought to be an improvement, wasn't, and it is believed that no arms were actually issued with it.

Mine, 318991, issued, per SRS, to my (VERY distant) cousin CPT W. C. Manning, 23rd Infantry, was returned to SA for "problems with the sights" and now has a standard "R" Buffington, which does appear to have slightly less wear than the rest of the rifle. No way of knowing what it was originally issued with. It bears dual cartouches [SWP/1885] & [SWP/1887] signifying the rework.

Just to muddy things a bit I have a rack and pinion Buffington sight with the R . Reports are it moved under recoil not much but did move. and It violated the Maynard patent on their rack and pinion tang sight. Perhaps to avoid a lawsuit over it like the add on pistol grip suit that went on into the 1920's it was dropped from production.

Well Tom, that did muddy the water a bit. Could be possible but who knows. There is a difference in the color of the slide and the leaf. Can’t be sure if parts were swapped out but the knob fell out while I was removing the sling. There’s no pin to hold it in so I just slid it back in.
    Last edited by Carlsr; 12-17-2021 at 01:55. Reason: Can’t spell

Also I have seen Buffington sights with The binding knob but used the rack slider as it worked and they did not waste parts. Put the knob on and use a safety pin for the knob pin just push it in untill its tight and trim both ends off.

That’s a great idea Tom but there is no hole for a pin. Seems that the knob is inserted then on the opposite side there is an indentation which expanded the rod to hold the knob in. The windage knob does have a pin, not sure why the elevation knob would not??
    Al has some knobs on his site, may have to ask him how to correct this issue.

Just when you think a good deal has been had you find out that it was not
    Turns out that this M84 is an imposter!!! I couldn’t figure out why the bayonet was so difficult to remove along with discovering that the 1882 HSE would not fit in the butt stock along with the wiper??
    I disassembled the rifle and found that the rod channel was originally fitted for the triangular rod bayonet making this stock for an M80 not the M84.
    I was bamboozled I cannot believe that someone would fake such a rare rifle along with destroying another.
    Just wanted to let all know that this rifle was not as posted but is now a replica of a rare trapdoor. Just a reminder also to keep an eye out for these imposters while shopping for these awesome rifles.

I hate to hear that. I'm sorry it didn't turn out to be what you expected. I have seen that in the last few years, people will fake almost anything.
    Last edited by Tkacook; 01-04-2022 at 04:04. Reason: Can't type!
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Thanks Tkacook. It is still a nice looking rifle and will most likely be a good shooter since the bore is nice and shinny.
    At least the price wasn’t that astronomical that I wouldn’t be able to recoup my money should I sell it.

I guess, looking at this from a distance, this is just another confirmation of the old adage that "if something is too good to be true, it probably isn't". That said, I hasten to note that had I seen it - as it was represented - I'd have done EXACTLY what Carl did!!! The fault lies with the seller - who (now with the advantage of hindsight) I think may have known more about the gun than he divulged to Carl.

Many, many years ago, before I found my good one, I had a "maybe" '84 in an '88 stock, which I ultimately sold, with warts out in the open, very cheap, to a guy who was OK with a "lookalike". Some people are fine with them - others not. I have a project which I've been fooling around with for years - maybe I'll finish it, maybe I won't. I own a genuine M1882TRB bayonet, one of 26, and am slowly building a gun around it! A Jouster friend (thanks, John H.) machined the bayonet housing for me, and the rest is from the parts box, except for a bastard stock obtained from Al Frasca. It was a .50-70 stock with tip damage and the flats all rounded off. Totally NFG, EXCEPT for being PRECISELY what is needed to build a "tribute" M1882TRB!!! With original guns north of $25,000, I will be very happy with what should turn out to be a very nice "5-footer". Maybe next year I'll be able to post a family picture of all four RBs.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 01-08-2022 at 09:27.

I for one would love to see pictures.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!