Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did I do good??

What do you figure the sling alone would be worth? Certainly looks like the correct period sling. You did really good!

Andy
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Probably $150.00 to $200.00

About what I figured.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Thanks Andy. I believe the correct sling for the year would be either a single hook with the brass stud or the first type thin double hook?? Not positive on the dates different type slings were produced. Either way it is a nice sling and Fred is most likely correct on the value. Looks like a nice sling in the photos. I’ll put some Picard on it when the rifle arrives. Nice that it has a sling and also the tools, that’s 2 less pieces I’ll have to hunt down

Finally got the rifle home! Looks much nicer than the photos on gun broker. I was mostly concerned with the stock being correct as the rod channel was hidden by the sling and the cartouche date not readable but it is correct. Unfortunately the rear sight is not correct in that it has an operational rack and pinion. Apparently someone thought this was the correct sight and discarded the proper one. Anyone here possibly have the correct sight? Will be posting photos as soon as I get the chance.

Opinions have blown both ways about the rack-and-pinion over the years, so I'm not TOTALLY convinced we have it right - I'd pay a GREAT deal of attention to patina, color, dings on the screws, crud in/at the joint line of sight and barrel, etc. before I changed it. Conversely, if it's a lousy match with scarred screws, I'd be quicker to "fix" it. Getting the rifle basically for nothing gives you the luxury of being able to shop for a sight until you find that perfect one. Congratulations on a great find. Now you need to find a positive-cam. One was bought as a standard rifle at Baltimore about 20 years ago - think THAT guy was happy?

Thanks Dick, here are some photos. It is now dark by the time I get home now so the lighting is not very good plus bad photo skills LOL!!
    IMG_1604.jpgIMG_1603.jpgIMG_1605.jpgIMG_1606.jpgIMG_1607.jpg

I removed the sling tonight and although it seemed to be in good shape it was not. When removing the hook the leather ripped through one of the holes. Seems to be kinda dry rotted so don’t even think Picard would help. Even if it did not sure how I would repair the tear??

10. Default

If there is no R on the slide wouldn?t this prove it is the correct sight? Aren?t all the other TD Buffington sights marked R on the rifles?