Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did I do good??

Default Did I do good??

This rifle may not be prefect but since it's a rare one I'll just have to settle. Seems like the ones I'm not looking for pop up and that pesky 1870 type I is still hiding SOMEWHERE!!
    Soooo, was this a good price?
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/917332389

2. Default

Awesome, please post your own pics when it arrives - especially that bayonet!

Will do! It will be a while though, have to send them a check then wait for it to arrive at my FFL for transfer which could take a couple days. I live in NJ so yes I need permission to bring it home : (
    I also found a bayonet for my 1869 cadet. That should be here in a couple days and will be posting a few pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    This rifle may not be prefect but since it's a rare one I'll just have to settle. Seems like the ones I'm not looking for pop up and that pesky 1870 type I is still hiding SOMEWHERE!!
    Soooo, was this a good price?
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/917332389
    "Did I do good" and "Soooo, was this a good price?" are tied for the 2021 "Most Disingenuous Statement Award"!!!!!

Carl, you f*****g STOLE it!!!!!

Fact that it was poorly described probably helped - the casual looky-lous stopped at "1888". You had the good sense to keep reading and, most of all review, the pics! I almost NEVER read the GB sales texts, but just hit the pics, which tell 99.9% of the story anyhow!

I put the number (it's not listed in SRS) into my working ms.

Great find - happy for you!!

LOL!!! That’s funny Dick. I Didn’t intend to steal it as I asked him if he had a buy now in mind and he posted it. His offer so I jumped on it. I always look at the pictures first then read the bad description. The front sight should have been quite obvious to what it actually was, not you’re everyday 88 : )
    Now it’s the wait that’s going to kill me! Sent a check out today which won’t get there until Saturday so that means I most likely won’t see it until the end of next week.
    That’s twice now I’ve gotten lucky on GB, this 84 and the trials 88. My rod bayonet collection is just about complete.
    Thanks Dick
    Last edited by Carlsr; 11-30-2021 at 10:57.

I've gotten lucky on GB too. Got two of the 100 special-length BoOF Krags from vendors who thought their guns were wrong, one for $350 (with a whacked stock) and $750 (in a carbine stock). It pays to pay attention, and to know more about the item than the seller does (as you did).

I think the seller had an idea what is was but not quite sure??? He did state that he thought it was one of the 600 made in 1886. According to the serial number and Al’s chart it was made in 1885. I normally check GB for 1870’s and sometimes rod bayonets. Seems lately that TD’s have had a lot more activity than in the recent past. With that being said I was however surprised that there wasn’t at least one bid on it. Lucky for me though there wasn’t

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    I think the seller had an idea what is was but not quite sure??? He did state that he thought it was one of the 600 made in 1886. According to the serial number and Al’s chart it was made in 1885. I normally check GB for 1870’s and sometimes rod bayonets. Seems lately that TD’s have had a lot more activity than in the recent past. With that being said I was however surprised that there wasn’t at least one bid on it. Lucky for me though there wasn’t
    Yes, luck can play a LARGE part sometimes!

Wow!
    Thanks for sharing that!

Your welcome Fred. I seen another one yesterday at the Allentown show. It was priced much higher with a large chip in the stock.
    Priced at 5,500.00.