Thread: Ken Burns

Default Ken Burns

The Ken Burns Civil War video is now available on AETN.ORG.

If you believe the Civil War was simply a conflict over slavery, you do not want to watch Burn?s PBS videos.

JMHO

Good series.

I agree with RED that it will be an ongoing challenge to keep the word "simply" out of discussions about Secession and the CW. One even sees WW2 being reinterpreted in strange new ways by the younger generation.

3. Default

looks like I have to pay to see it , did they change the ending this time or is it still the same .

4. Default

Anybody remember Rocky Lane https://youtu.be/SmQkFgTiEwk

5. Default

This series was Burns’ first body of work and was made and shown in 1990. Even Burns in later comments has agreed with later critiques that Shelby Foote had an outsized impact on the theses of the series, namely an emphasis on the Lost Cause (a la works by Margaret Mitchell - Gone With The Wind).

Quote Originally Posted by oscars View Post
    This series was Burns’ first body of work and was made and shown in 1990. Even Burns in later comments has agreed with later critiques that Shelby Foote had an outsized impact on the theses of the series, namely an emphasis on the Lost Cause (a la works by Margaret Mitchell - Gone With The Wind).
    Another way I haver heard that put is the myth that "once upon a time, things were just fine in the Old South."

Nonetheless the series deserves credit for its breadth and attention to detail. Critics can always find something. And heck, if he tried to make that series now....God Help Him!