Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2. Default

Nice rifle, gorgeous backdrop!

The cleaning rod is single shoulder. The rear barrel band has both tightening screw and retaining spring. I think shortly after it was assembled, the practice of stamping serial numbers on the production rifles was stopped
    Last edited by Fred; 11-28-2021 at 08:28.

MY question would be, if it's SA work, why did they change stamps?

Maybe the old set (1868) had damage?

Perhaps. As to the clamping band - you noted that it had the clamp AND spring as though that was somehow "different? But, I've never seen ANY 1868 or 1870 without the spring! I always wondered why the clamp was used at all, seeing that it was NEVER needed? Belt and suspenders? Very odd since they accounted for parts to the mil.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    I always wondered why the clamp was used at all, seeing that it was NEVER needed? Belt and suspenders? Very odd since they accounted for parts to the mil.
    The clamping band was reused from the M1863 rifle musket that had its stock reconfigured to M1868/70.

Do later production 1870’s have the clamping screw?

I have two model 1870’s. One is a type II which does not have the clamping band. The other one was made in 1873 with a new stock, 400 of these were made along with 100 with the Metcalf device. That one also does not have the clamping band.

Firstly - yes, I knew the source of (and reason for) the clamping band - but still wonder why they were used on the 1868 - of which I have never seen or heard of - a specimen lacking band springs. As to the the Model 1870, I have never seen, or heard of, one WITH a clamping lower band, prior to your pictures. I have an 1870 Trials rifle (a sort of "pre-1870" if you will) and it has the plain band. All that said - who knows what hands ALL of the rifles we find today have been through? Interchangeable parts can be a curse as well as a blessing. We will likely never know whether "17" is right, or slightly "wrong" - but thank goodness you kept the pictures for reference!!