Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Actually, you probably have the rifle version of the model 1902 'Dickson' sight.

The curved elevation 'ramp', on the rifle-base, is taller than the carbine 1902 base.

The carbine base is also marked with a "C", usually on the right-side. (Only about 1,000 carbine sights, with the 1902 style base, were made).

The top leaf assemblies are identical for 1902 rifle and carbine sights.

There are variations in the locking-knobs and the 1902 eye-pieces: (plain single-notch, single-notch with swing-up 'peep', and 1898 three-notch eye-pieces altered at Springfield and used to make 1902 sights).

Attached photo shows 1902 carbine and rifle bases:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try S&S Firearms, Glendale, NY. Part # HG203.
    They used to make a pretty nice reproduction. I bought one for my '96 Krag several years ago and I really did not have to do much fitting to it other that staining to match the stock color and oiling.
    J.J.

S&S has not had any handguards since COVID. Neither has Antique Guns LLC. COVID is hurting all the small businesses.

Butlersrangers, how about the feasibility of converting a M1903 or A3 handguard to a Krag handguard.

BEAR

I have never made a Krag hand-guard from something else.

The 'barrel-clips' are the big challenge and Parashooter did a wonderful job of making a hand-guard from a walnut chair-leg and packing steel-bands, IIRC.

I believe Schwartz, aka Antique Guns LLC, retired due to health problems. He was the source of reproduction hand-guards for vendors like S&S Firearms.

I don't think 1903 & 1903A3 Springfield hand-guards will work as 'donor' parts.

Any "donor" handguard would need the steel clips added - they're all that holds it on with most models of issue sight.

The wood is the easy part - just cut, file, sand until it fits right. Because they're hidden under the wood when assembled, the clips can be ugly - so they're easy, too. Making and installing the common-nail rivets is pretty straightforward but does require patience and a steady hand.

The project is time-consuming. I recall it took most of a day. Tools included table saw, drill press, gouges, chisels, knives, files, sandpaper, hacksaw, bench vise, punches, hammer.

butlersrangers and Parashooter,
    Thanks for the replies. Sad to hear about Mr. Schwartz.
    Parashooter I liked your comment: "The project is time-consuming. I recall it took most of a day."

BEAR

Will wonders never cease!!! Was contacted via PM by a gentleman who had a 1902 hand guard that was surplus to his needs. He offered it to me. Of course I took him up on his most gracious offer. The hand guard arrived on Friday. By noon, I was out of the office. By 2 PM I had gotten home. Just before supper on Friday afternoon ... finished the Krag! It really is a pretty thing. Have some pictures on my phone. Now ... how to get them posted. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."