1. Default Sam Houston and the Alamo Avengers

Friends sent me a few books, Sam Houston and the Alamo Avengers (Brian Kilmeade) being one. A pleasant read, footnotes to assist in researching any interesting details. What struck me is the folks he calls Texians had an unshakable belief in what they were doing and refused to let anyone's opinions dissuade them. Once the die was cast that Texas required sovereignty in order to prosper they would not be stopped.

I wonder how many Americans have that same determination today.

It was a very close thing. Santa Ana made several mistakes, but even with that Sam Houston knew his guys had one good fight in them and he did a great job of taking advantage of the opportunity when it arose.

Another good read by an eye witness to the war on the other side (including the Alamo) is "With Santa Ana in Texas" by Jose Enrique de la Pena.
    Last edited by Art; 10-25-2021 at 04:11.

3. Default

There was the Dawson Massacre, the Black and White bean decision and then something went very wrong at a prison. And they were told to never forget the Alamo.

F. Guffey

4. Default

Art,

Sam Houston knew his guys had one good fight in them
    Sam Houston put up his best fight at the capital; they claim he was buried with wood splinters in his hands from anything he could grab when they drug him out, that was the day Texas seceded from the USA/Union and joined the South.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 12-01-2021 at 07:12.

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    Art,

Sam Houston put up his best fight at the capital; they claim he was buried with wood splinters in his hands from anything he could grab when they drug him out, that was the day Texas seceded from the USA/Union and joined the South.

F. Guffey
    There are many who would say you are correct. Houston fought secession tooth and nail and lived the last few years of his life (he died in 1863) in semi disgrace in Huntsville as a result. Unfortunately for Texas his position was the correct one.
    Last edited by Art; 12-06-2021 at 10:44.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    There are many who would say you are correct. Houston fought secession tooth and nail and lived the last few years of his life (he died in 1863) in semi disgrace in Huntsville as a result. Unfortunately for Texas his position was the correct one.
    He was not asked to leave; he was literally drug out of the building clawing and digging in all the way.

I went to Austin; not something I will be able to discuss here. My wife had the satisfaction of telling them "I warned you". I would say that was the day the ship hit the sand and it has been stuck there ever since.

F. Guffey

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    He was not asked to leave; he was literally drug out of the building clawing and digging in all the way.

I went to Austin; not something I will be able to discuss here. My wife had the satisfaction of telling them "I warned you". I would say that was the day the ship hit the sand and it has been stuck there ever since.

F. Guffey
    I have read several accounts of the removal of Houston from office after Texas voted to secede and join the Confederacy. While he contended his removal was illegal I've never seen anything anywhere that says he was physically dragged out of the capital "clawing and digging." Now him physically resisting, especially since he was a crippled old man, is a significant enough event I would think it would show up somewhere in the official documents I've read.

Houston was a slave holder and a devout believer in states rights but believed no good could come of secession.

From remarks he made on April 1, 1861, two weeks after having been removed from office:

"Let me tell you what is coming. After the sacrifice of countless millions in treasure and hundreds of thousands of lives, you may win independence if God is not against you. But I doubt it. I tell you that while I believe with you in the doctrine of States Rights, the North is determined to preserve this union. They are not firey, impulsive people a you are, for they live in colder climates. But when they begin to move in a given direction, they move with the steady momentum of a mighty avalanche; and what I fear is they will overwhelm the South."
    Last edited by Art; 09-18-2022 at 05:42.