Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Best Revolver in the World???

I posted regarding the French GIGN Special Forces and their designated marksman/sniper rifle in Gun Talk earlier. The sidearm used by these guys was the Manhurin MR73, widely regarded as the finest wheelgun in the world. While they use other handguns today this revolver is still in their inventory doing sterling service with French special ops. They are now being imported into the United States by Beretta. Happiness can be yours for $3,300.00.

Video review below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcQmReWckNk
    Last edited by Art; 10-25-2021 at 10:16.

Blog Entries

I have had a few thru the shop,
    nice revolvers,

some may argue with your comments on 'The Best' and say Korth is 'The Best'

not sure who would be right or wrong, both are built very well, and quite pricey

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I have had a few thru the shop,
    nice revolvers,

some may argue with your comments on 'The Best' and say Korth is 'The Best'

not sure who would be right or wrong, both are built very well, and quite pricey
    I put the question marks behind the title because "best" will always be somewhat subjective. I doubt I'll ever own a Manurhin or a Korth because to me its a case of "the best being the enemy of good enough." I find it interesting that the Manurhin was created purely as a combat weapon but with the finish of a Colt Python or S&W Model 27. I thought the 100,000 round minimum durability requirement was fascinating and very impressive. .357 Magnum Smith & Wesson "N" or "L" frame revolvers can take many thousands of rounds of hot ammunition and keep on ticking but they are a lot bigger and a half pound heavier than a Manhurin.

Equivalent size high quality American revolvers like the Python or S&W Model 19 would never take the beating of full load magnums the Manurhins will. 5,000 to 6,000 full house magnums would usually wreck or at a minimum put either in the shop for at least a major overhaul (one who knows.) Every report I've heard says 6,000 magnums is barely the break in period for a Manurhin. My usual carry gun is a S&W Model 640 loaded with 110 grain Remington Magnums. I've carried this gun for over 20 years and train with it regularly. I estimate I have 1,000 to 1,500 magnums and 5,000 + or - several hundred rounds of .38s through it. It still runs fine but I am considering replacing it in the next year or two, possibly with a Kimber...but who knows.

A gun like a Manuhrin is for when your country cares enough to ensure its special operators train (and kill) with the very best.
    Last edited by Art; 10-25-2021 at 01:53.

4. Default

My scoped 586-2 will cloverleaf 158gr factories at 100yds, good enough for me. But that is impressive iron.

I have a Colt Python bought new in 1978 that has never had a .357 round through it. Many thousands of .38 wadcutter though. Preceding it was a Colt .357 that the first 500 or so rounds were .357 Magnum loads, but grew tired of that and it went on .38 wadcutter ammo. Both still going strong today.

A S&W Registered .357 Magnum from 1937.

Only 5400 Registered Magnums were produced. A lot of them wound up in the holsters of lawmen, and those show wear, sometimes considerable wear. Is that one yours? One like that in pristine condition, it is a pearl beyond price.

As you know by the late 1970s Smith & Wesson was starting to cut some corners. By the mid1980s they began cutting a lot of corners. The guns were still good functional weapons but a gun like that Registered Magnum is owned for reasons that go beyond function. My 1977 Model 27 is a beautiful gun but not quite up to the standard of the one illustrated. The current Model 27s are only a pale reflection of either
    Last edited by Art; 10-26-2021 at 07:38.

I got "a" box with it, but no serial number on the bottom. The serial number was on a piece of paper stuck to the bottom of the box originally. Also got the original registration certificate with it. The registration certificate had the serial number, registration number, barrel length, type of front and rear sight, distance and hold it was sighted in for, and ammunition used.

You could order any barrel length from 3 1/2 to 8 3/4 inches, several types of front sight, two rear sights, two hammers, and two styles of grips. The revolvers retailed for $60.00 with a wholesale of $39.00, and it took S&W about four years to figure out they were a losing proposition and went to standard features.

I don't remember the date, but the longest barrel length was changed from 8 3/4" to 8 3/8" to comply with competition rules that only allowed a maximum 10" sight radius.

We're talking Classic revolvers. Colt, S-W, Manchurian. Maybe something else. I bought a Colt Python over on the west side for $400. I asked the guy why he was selling it, and he said, you let things go.
    It was the most phenomenal pistol I've ever owned. OK-Story; I don't put guns on the shelf. I took the pistol out for a foray with a buddy from work. He had a black powder rifle that he showed me how to fire. In some break time I noticed a can up on the side of the hill. I drew the Python and in a second or so nailed the can. It was about fifty yrs. Good shooting he said. Yup I said. But I could do that on occasion when I was younger. Markets go up and down. Three thousand doesn't seem all that crazy these days. So, if you can find a Manchurin for 2 it might be a deal. Colt isn't the best revolver ever made according to my gunsmith buddy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    I have a Colt Python bought new in 1978 that has never had a .357 round through it. Many thousands of .38 wadcutter though. Preceding it was a Colt .357 that the first 500 or so rounds were .357 Magnum loads, but grew tired of that and it went on .38 wadcutter ammo. Both still going strong today.

A S&W Registered .357 Magnum from 1937.

.357 is a loud round. As I get older, I don't like the blast or noise. .38 is fun. If push comes to shove I guess I'd fire a .357, (the aquivelant is on hand) but I'd sue for the hearing damage. Good photo.
    Last edited by dryheat; 10-26-2021 at 09:57. Reason: spelling is my downfall
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Blog Entries

one of my regular customers bought a Korth in the past couple years,

once he got used to it, and broke it in (to his liking) he loves it,

range he shoots on has 38's for sale that they load in house, and he had a squib with one,
    bullet stuck in the barrel,
    so he had the range (range is a gunshop too, so FFL and all that) send it back to the US repair facility to look it over

took a couple months, he did not get a repair sheet back, but he thinks it was sent back to Germany and rebarreled,

his is a Convertible, he has an extra cylinder for 9mm as well

he was talking about unloading it, as in selling, but he has decided he likes it too much

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    .357 is a loud round. As I get older, I don't like the blast or noise. .38 is fun. If push comes to shove I guess I'd fire a .357, (the aquivelant is on hand) but I'd sue for the hearing damage. Good photo.
    I have several pistols and rifles that are chambered for the .357. Some are for the 38 special only. Rather than have a slew of different cases, loads and bullet weights I just shoot the 38 specials in everything. I keep my little snub noise pistols loaded with the 38+P for home defense.

I too can not tolerate the loud sharp "crack" noise that a .357 makes.