Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old times

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    FWIW - I have lost track of the original point of this thread. IIRC - it was rather nice and paid tribute to old posts that contained a lot of knowledge and memories of past contributors.

Things suddenly went bizarre with a display of grudges

Attachment 49892Attachment 49893
    3rd post on, Guffey derailed the post with comments on brass, and e eryone dutifully followed, except Lyman.......Baaaa!

Blog Entries

FWIW - I have lost track of the original point of this thread. IIRC - it was rather nice and paid tribute to old posts that contained a lot of knowledge and memories of past contributors.

Things suddenly went bizarre with a display of old grudges.
    As usual, everyone is a bit in the 'Right'.

English is such a fun language, Babel within itself!

Although "gauge" is the preferred spelling, "gage" is an old variant. It can be found in some dictionaries, right between "gag" and "gaggle".

Attachment 49892Attachment 49893
    where is that damn like button....

maybe Guffey will do us a Favor,,,, or Favour,, and let us know which he prefers,

meanwhile sorry to prolong the drift

3. Default

Things suddenly went bizarre with a display of old grudges.
    As usual, everyone is a bit in the 'Right'.
    It is something they have done to their own foot (one of the other), they have different standards for different folks. It was not long ago most would say "everyone knows what the other means"; many years ago, I said I took a picture of my gages and then I said the picture weight 600 pounds. And now someone wants me to change the names of my gages? Again, I go to my 100-year-old Starrett catalog and then I go to my 100+ year old Starrett Machinist handbook and find nothing has changed.

If there was any updating to be done it would have been done in the machinist handbook, I have three different copies: no changes after all these years.

A writer/gunsmith/shooter/reloader wanted to learn to weld so he signed into a welding class taught by (in my opinion) the best welder at North Texas State/University of Texas Denton. The writer wrote books; one of the books covered chambering a rifle. I thought the book was an excellent book. I have two of them, one is the first edition, and the second book is the second edition. When I got the books, I had enough respect for the old professor and the man that wrote the book I did not say anything about the way gage was spelled Neither one of the two gentlemen used a technical proof writer. The professor held two doctoral degrees in education. He was a gunsmith, the man that taught machine shop at Norths Texas held a doctoral degree, they had a small gunsmith shop in Denton, Texas. For all the years I have known them I have never had a conversation that is as silly as the ones I get involved in on gun forums. Both have died, not something I wanted to do but I was asked to clean out their shops. I volunteered to pack up the off-campus office that belonged to one of them, I was allowed to do that while he was alive.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 12-08-2021 at 08:33. Reason: change is to if and then add never

4. Default

Maybe the person that wrote the definition got it wrong?

I think I have a couple more, and all are spelled GAGE.

The truth is there are two perfectly acceptable ways to spell gage/gauge. Both are correct.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    3rd post on, Guffey derailed the post with comments on brass, and e eryone dutifully followed, except Lyman.......Baaaa!
    if you prefer, I can prune this thead and remove the alternative paths

Blog Entries

Not for me to say, evidently the folks here support changing thread directions from pillar to post because they keep answering.

If it stays active, the title should be changed, because it isn't what the OP started.
    Last edited by PWC; 12-08-2021 at 08:01.

8. Default

As used by U.S. Ordnance, gage was the noun, and gauged was the verb.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    Not for me to say, evidently the folks here support changing thread directions from pillar to post because they keep answering.

If it stays active, the title should be changed, because it isn't what the OP started.
    then I will leave it up to Dryheat,

gotta admit tho,, the topic turned a bit interesting,

10. Default

The truth is there are two perfectly acceptable ways to spell gage/gauge. Both are correct.
    It is immature to have two standards for members. I have from the beginning claimed it is impossible to move the shoulder of a case back when sizing with a die that has full length case body support. Judging by the response by my critics there is not one member that that knows where to start investigating what happens to a case when sizing, firing and forming. And I would be wasting my time to suggest when finished the reloader that claims they can move the shoulder back when sizing must understand if they could move the shoulder back, they cannot develop 'the dreaded donut' inside the case. Part of this thread made a preserved turn, the topic of necking a case up and or down was mentioned; no one knew because no one offered information. Most went to Yaw Yawing, that is when people sit on their front porch and holler back and forth.

No one noticed I said, "please forgive", again I doubt I can find anyone that understands the meaning of 'forgive'.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 12-08-2021 at 08:55. Reason: change bull to full