Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old times

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    Guffey, what ARE you talking about? You are the most eclectic thinker I know.
    I can't make heads or tails out of some of his stuff either,
    but some I can,

this is not one of those I can get,,,

2. Default

Guffey, what ARE you talking about? You are the most eclectic thinker I know.
    A few weeks before that I tried to help them with chamber casting. Seems they had the illusion they were checking head space. I did not have to wait long before their brain trusts claimed it could not be done, he said it was impossible to measure head space with a chamber casting. I disagreed, I informed him there are two shooters/reloaders that can cast a chamber for head space. I tried to inform him I have been casting chambers for many years. When I started, I did not have anyone to give me any bad habits. All I had was a pile of tools and gun parts: and the attitude "All I have to do is etc. etc...

For my effort I was threatened with a 1-month ban. Reminded me about 'thinking about' going to a Jimmy Buffett concert; I was told it was not nice to beat Jimmy to the words of his own songs.

eclectic: am I surrounded with forum members that do not have shop skills? Adjustable patches, if you have never heard of an adjustable patch, it would help me if you would say something like "I never heard of an adjustable patch" or I never heard of a cleaning rod being used to taper the muzzle/bore.

You are the most eclectic thinker I know.
    Thank you.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 12-03-2021 at 08:08. Reason: I had 'that that' in the first sentence

3. Default

I can't make heads or tails out of some of his stuff either,
    but some I can,

this is not one of those I can get.
    I cannot see you making an effort, I will assume you use cleaning rods and patches, I will assume you have never heard of a cleaning rod tapering the bore as it is pulled/pushed through the bore; me? If the cleaning rod is rubbing the bore with a negative effect, I am going to change my method and or technique. If the cleaning rod bows when pushed through the bore, I am going to pull it through and or change my methods and or techniques.

F. Guffey

Blog Entries

Guffey, sometimes I think you read something on another site, then post your answer here....as always, I know you have to have the last post in a thread, so go ahead.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    I cannot see you making an effort, I will assume you use cleaning rods and patches, I will assume you have never heard of a cleaning rod tapering the bore as it is pulled/pushed through the bore; me? If the cleaning rod is rubbing the bore with a negative effect, I am going to change my method and or technique. If the cleaning rod bows when pushed through the bore, I am going to pull it through and or change my methods and or techniques.

F. Guffey
    as I cannot see you making an effort to make a comment in a clear and concise method,

if the rod bows,, you may be doing something wrong,

6. Default

Guffey, sometimes I think you read something on another site, then post your answer here...
    PWC, I have no idea how you could come up with a thought like that, I have not posted any answers, what I have posted are questions.

You are the most eclectic thinker I know.

Thank you.
    I believe some members have self-respect, pride and dignity, and then there are others that choose to be widely indignant about everything, you ask "what am I talking about?". If you do not want to know, don't ask but you have to put some effort into it. Claiming you do not understand is a childish copout.

A chamber cast that determines the length of the chamber is something only one shooter/reloaders has managed to accomplish. Because of the widely indignant element there is only one shooter/reloader that came to a forum with questions about casting and then left a forum with the ability to cast a chamber that could be used to measure the length of the chamber. I apologized to him for the bad behavior of the reloading forum.

Back to the beginning of this thread; there were members on that forum that were on this forum. He could not understand why they were insulting him.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 12-03-2021 at 07:06. Reason: remove one sign-out

7. Default

if the rod bows, you may be doing something wrong,
    Please tell me how you prevent the cleaning rod from bowing or tell me how a shooter can cause the cleaning rod to bow. I have heavy twine/rope cleaners and I have chains, there is no way a rope and or chain can be pushed through the bore; the chain and or rope/twine can only be pulled unless it goes in one end and out the other and I would not know what reloaders would call that, come and go/back and forth or pull/pull, they could call it a barrel flosser?

And there is the taper ware gage for the muzzle, an auto response for the tapered muzzle is 'the cleaning rod did it'. I do not agree but we have so many snarky members I do not dare upsetting them.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 12-04-2021 at 11:39. Reason: change i to u

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    Please tell me how you prevent the cleaning rod from bowing or tell me how a shooter can cause the cleaning rod to bow.
    which do you want an answer to? since you said OR

I have heavy twine/rope cleaners and I have chains, there is no way a rope and or chain can be pushed through the bore; the chain and or rope/twine can only be pulled unless it goes in one end and out the other and I would not know what reloaders would call that, come and go/back and forth or pull/pull, they could call it a barrel flosser?
    what to reloaders have to do with cleaning the bore with a pull thru or rod?

why would you go back and forth like floss, when you want to push thru from the breech if you can, or push from the muzzle if you cannot?

And there is the taper ware gage for the muzzle, an auto response for the tapered muzzle is 'the cleaning rod did it'. I do not agree but we have so many snarky members I do not dare upsetting them.

F. Guffey
    taper wear gage or gauge? as in tapered to show the diameter at the muzzle (vs the throat)?
    Last edited by lyman; 12-04-2021 at 04:18.

9. Default

taper wear gage or gauge? as in tapered to show the diameter at the muzzle (vs the throat)?
    I have a Starrett tool catalog that go back 100 years, in 100 years Starett has always referred to their tools as gages. Many years ago, they had a machinist handbook, same thing. and then there is the Machinist handbook; nowhere in all of the editions will you find anything as silly as guage or gauge being used to identify a gage.

F. Guffey

FWIW - I have lost track of the original point of this thread. IIRC - it was rather nice and paid tribute to old posts that contained a lot of knowledge and memories of past contributors.

Things suddenly went bizarre with a display of old grudges.
    As usual, everyone is a bit in the 'Right'.

English is such a fun language, Babel within itself!

Although "gauge" is the preferred spelling, "gage" is an old variant. It can be found in some dictionaries, right between "gag" and "gaggle".

IMG_8999.jpgIMG_9000.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 12-07-2021 at 10:11.