Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old times

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Maybe the person that wrote the definition got it wrong?

I think I have a couple more, and all are spelled GAGE.

thank you for taking the time to contribute. Back in those days the gage was identified as go, not go, and now I have to give them something to complain about; 'not-go' meant 'will not go'.

I have three machines make gages that use a tapper. I agree with Roy Dunlap, he said he purchases gages like head space gages, he also said he had friends that made their gages and he had friends that used cases as gages; I believe there would be more of all types if there were not so many snarky members on social media.

F. Guffey

Blog Entries

Here we go AGAIN, Guffey 101, How You Can't Bump Case Shoulders and Headspace 101, Only Guffey Knows How.

I got the 'message' intended in the original post.
    Spending time reading old threads is an interesting, informative and useful endeavor.
    It honors contributors, who may have died or no longer participate. What they shared, lives on.
    Most of it is good and advances understanding. It's not that hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    Here we go AGAIN, Guffey 101, How You Can't Bump Case Shoulders and Headspace 101, Only Guffey Knows How.
    PWC, grow up, there is no excuse for you not knowing how; if you could go back enough pages you would know reloaders claimed head space was a line. When I informed them, the datum was a round hole not a line and the hole could not have a tapper they got all giggly about a tool that had a tapper, they could not get the tool to work accurately because it had a tapper. I did not want to waste their time, so I told them most of the round holes measured 3/8"/.375" and then they got all silly.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 12-09-2021 at 07:45.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    I got the 'message' intended in the original post.
    Spending time reading old threads is an interesting, informative and useful endeavor.
    It honors contributors, who may have died or no longer participate. What they shared, lives on.
    Most of it is good and advances understanding. It's not that hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.
    As the post was intended.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    As the post was intended.
    So, you are using that as an excuse for being rude? Consider what he overlooked. I had no investment and nothing to gain when I tried to help reloaders understand the case gage. They claimed the case gage was a 'drop-in' gage. No one kept the instructions, no one knew the L.E. Wilson case gage went back to about 1938.

I thought The Wilson case gage was magnificent tool. Any reloader that understood the case gage could answer most of the answers asked about head space. fitting the case to the chamber, the difference between fired and sized cases, and then there were those that had something to gain by discouraging reloaders from using the case gage. I did not care what tool they use; all I was interested in was to make sure they understood how to use the tool they choose.

I have case gages, I have made case gages, I have made chamber gages. If you go back enough pages you will find a member that was named W.T. Watts. He attended Ackley's school of gunsmithing in Colorado. He knew enough about the topics that were being discussed, what he could not understand is how I could upset 'almost' everyone. He contacted me, he needed to come to Dallas to find some ham radio equipment and he wanted to know a few of my resource people. He spent 4 days here, I took him to places he did not know existed, I took him to smiths and shops and old friends, he told me he had to find out if I was for real? I showed him what I was involved with, I had put together a few things I wanted to help him with, one was annealing, another was checking the length of a chamber with one gage. Another project covered helped to determine if it was possible for the case to run forward in the chamber when the firing pin hit the primer.
    and then there were all of those experts that claimed the case had head space, it was most embarrassing for one because he called SAAMI, he told them what I said. They looked it up and determined there was no symbol for head space in the Ledgen for the case drawing. Anyhow another member felt sorry for him, so he took the credit for the call.

F. Guffey

7. Default

Forgive, I forgot, at the time I tried to help reloaders to expand their knowledge and understanding and the relation between projects and tools, I offered to modify a go-gage to a go to-infinity gage, one said no because it would no longer be a period correct gage. He was the one that called me over to help him shorten a chamber. I had 35 new bolts not one of the 35 would shorten the chamber. He had over 100 03 bolts, I offered to check all of his bolts, I promised him he did not have a bolt that would shorten the chamber. He had 25 go-gages with a few no go-gage, out of all of those gages he could not determine how long his chamber was from the datum to the bolt face. And then I showed him how to check the length of the chamber without a head space gage. I tried.

F. Guffey

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    So, you are using that as an excuse for being rude?

F. Guffey
    Rude? I will leave it to the other contributors here to judge whether my comments were rude or cogent. Go ahead as always, you get the last comment.

I miss seeing Pete Davis's rock work...

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    Forgive, I forgot, at the time I tried to help reloaders to expand their knowledge and understanding and the relation between projects and tools, I offered to modify a go-gage to a go to-infinity gage, one said no because it would no longer be a period correct gage. He was the one that called me over to help him shorten a chamber. I had 35 new bolts not one of the 35 would shorten the chamber. He had over 100 03 bolts, I offered to check all of his bolts, I promised him he did not have a bolt that would shorten the chamber. He had 25 go-gages with a few no go-gage, out of all of those gages he could not determine how long his chamber was from the datum to the bolt face. And then I showed him how to check the length of the chamber without a head space gage. I tried.

F. Guffey
    I offered to modify a go-gage to a go to-infinity gage
    Can you modify a go-gage to a go to infinity gage?

Please do not show off for me; I understand some member's wallow is this type of misery.

F. Guffey