Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stampings

Looks like a very nice rifle. Now I see an I on top of barrel ahead of receiver. The marks P and the squiggle or fish I have seen on the bottom of barrels. Could be just sloppy work on a Monday morning.Still do not like the witness marks.

They do seem to be misaligned but could also just be the angle in which the picture was taken. Could the one stamp be a c? If so then that would be for condemned? In MHO it is just not worth the asking price as there are many around also in that condition.
    Since you mentioned that squiggly line on the bottom of barrels now I remember where I seen it, old age setting in LOL!!

How many lands or grooves has it?

Fred, I do not know as there is no photo of the rifling. I assume it is the typical rifling.

I'd have to assume 3x3. Those are not the marks associated with the long-range guns, nor did any LRRs have the rod-bayonet.

Just wondering as my old trapdoor, 11801, had five grooves.
    I don’t remember if it had any additional stamps other than the eagles head and VP.
    Wish I would’ve paid attention 46 years ago.
    Last edited by Fred; 11-06-2021 at 06:57.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Just wondering as my old trapdoor, 11801, had five grooves.
    I don’t remember if it had any additional stamps other than the eagles head and VP.
    Wish I would’ve paid attention 46 years ago.
    That’s likely a Schuyler Hartley & Graham re-build using a surplus narrow receiver and a Remington 5-groove barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Edatbeach View Post
    That’s likely a Schuyler Hartley & Graham re-build using a surplus narrow receiver and a Remington 5-groove barrel.
    It could also be an SA barrel SA made a few 5 groove barrel's with proof stamps but never used to build rifles they were surplussed off. There was a complete rifle with a original SA 5 groove barrel on e-bay a while back.