Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stampings

Default Stampings

Here are some odd stamps on a rod bayonet that is for sale. I have never seen these stamps on a trapdoor and was wondering if anyone here has and if so what do they mean?
    Thanks
    Springfield-Model-1888-45-70-Trap-Door-90-Original-Finish-Perfect-Bore_101762388_1564_C476C6C9B7.jpg

Well, this certainly doesn't answer your question but thought I'd post this. Those that would log on to this thread may be interested in this.

https://www.dupagetrading.com/produc...ngfield-rifle/

Linkee no workee!

Allen Thanks for the link but quit when I got to the professionally refinished comment. However it does shine like a new dime.

No it did not Allen. Nice looking rifle but I like mine none professionally refinished.

Sorry, I just posted it because I know how pricey and scarce they are.

On a side note, I was always amazed by how many people would pay MORE for a carbine or Garand that had been professionally refinished. A former seller and sponser here use to sell these with aftermarket barrels and stocks, often just leaving the receiver, op rod and internal parts as original. These often sold for about double of what an all orgininal could be had for, they just didn't look as nice as the seller did excellent work.

I believe Dick can answer your question about the stampings. You may have to PM him a photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Sorry, I just posted it because I know how pricey and scarce they are.

On a side note, I was always amazed by how many people would pay MORE for a carbine or Garand that had been professionally refinished. A former seller and sponser here use to sell these with aftermarket barrels and stocks, often just leaving the receiver, op rod and internal parts as original. These often sold for about double of what an all orgininal could be had for, they just didn't look as nice as the seller did excellent work.

I believe Dick can answer your question about the stampings. You may have to PM him a photo?

Have never seen that mark (or ANY mark in that location) on ANY TD. Whatever it is, it's not SA as far as I know.

I do not see the A which is usually ahead of the receiver and the index marks are off. Perhaps an after market barrel such as the ones sold out of High Plains rifling and reboring a few years ago they were very good and did have three groove arsenal rifleing. Could you post a link to the complete rifle for sale add?

Here is the ad Tom
    https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101762388

- - - Updated - - -

Posted the complete ad Dick. Not interested in the rifle but was more curious about the stampings. I just couldn't spend that amount on an 88 after all I just spent 1300.00 on a trials 88 cartouched 1889 and documented. Think I got a rather good deal on that one.

Allen, no need to be sorry but I don't believe they are scarce. Pricey they are however no matter the condition. Posted one here I purchased recently that is cartouched 1889. Seems it is one of the experimental 88's before going into production. It is also documented as an M84 rod bayonet in SRS so this rifle has lived several lives LOL!! Once a M84, then an experimental 88 and finally an M88 with the updated rod latch. It has 2 circle P profs, 1873 dated breech block and the 2 piece trigger guard. The cartouche is under the rear lock bolt and there is a ghost cartouche in the correct location but not readable. This one I was not looking for but just somehow fell into my lap
    Far as Garand's, just can't spend that kind of money on a rifle that millions were made. They really don't appeal to me but I do have a CMP rifle that I won in a raffle. 100.00 total with cost of raffle then shipping and transfer fees seemed to be a great deal!!
    Last edited by Carlsr; 10-30-2021 at 07:35.