1. Default Leather Holster for S&W Chiefs Special

Does anyone have experience with a Tom Threepersons holster for a S&W Chiefs Special? Or other recommendation? Looking for a classic leather belt holster for this classic revolver.

Thanks.

I have a Threepersons holster for an S&W model 27, which is obviously at the other end of the size scale from your revolver. I like it very much and El Paso Saddelry still makes them to order. I believe the ultimate vintage holster for a small revolver is the Berns-Martin Triple Draw but unfortunately I don't know of anyone who makes one any more . If you could find a Triple Draw in good condition that would be my first choice. Unfortunately the amount of hand work required to make the original Berns-Martin have priced it out of the market.

If you get a Threepeersons I'd specify a 1" belt loop, 1 1/4" might be a bit big on that holster.

If your little revolver has the original grips you might get a grip adapter for it. I got a Tyler T Grip for a S&W Model 40 and it not only makes it much more controllable but gives it a really nice vintage look.

My devalued $.02
    Last edited by Art; 10-21-2021 at 06:43.

Blog Entries

I have read good things about threepersons work, but not used or bought one,

I carry my vintage Mod 40 Centennial (J frame, ) in a Kramer pocket holster, or a very old Buchmeimer (sp) black leather holster

4. Default

Thanks for the responses.

I noticed that El Paso also has a #77 Tortilla holster. Any thoughts on that vs. the Tom Threepersons? Would the Tortilla be any better for concealment?

Regarding grip adaptors, I understand that Tyler has a very long lead time. Are adaptors by BK satisfactory?

Quote Originally Posted by Jvet View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

I noticed that El Paso also has a #77 Tortilla holster. Any thoughts on that vs. the Tom Threepersons? Would the Tortilla be any better for concealment?

Regarding grip adaptors, I understand that Tyler has a very long lead time. Are adaptors by BK satisfactory?
    The Tortilla Holster is a more modern design, but certainly a good one. I carry in similar "pancake" holsters often and they were certainly in use by the mid 1970s. Another practical vintage style holster you might try their "Thumb Break #2" which is very similar to the holsters worn by the majority of plain clothes LEOs from the mid 1960s through the early 1990s. A lot of snubbies rode in those holsters.

I don't know the current wait time for a Tyler T Grip. When I bought mine your ordered it and paid then they made and shipped your adapter. Waiting time for mine was about two months. One of the selling points of the "T Grip" is the brass clip that holds the adaptor onto the frame under the grip but I doubt that's essential. I have no experience with BK adaptors, they appear to be a knock off of the T Grip but making a decent grip adaptor shouldn't be rocket science. Pachmayr used to make grip adaptors for all FBI revolvers but I don't know if they still are in the grip adaptor business. A while back I saw a used Detective Special in a pawn shop with a Pachmayr grip on it. It was a nice look.
    Last edited by Art; 10-21-2021 at 11:20.

A P.S. to my above. "T Grips" are made of bronze or aluminum, BK adaptors are made of polymer - if that matters.

7. Default

Great history and advice, thank you. I will also check out El Paso's Thumb Break #2. Interesting about the FBI's use of grip adaptors - that's quite an endorsement!