Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Here’s a forum with comments about Lexol. Looks like production was moved to China and the formula was changed. I guess it was inevitable.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/th...-lexol.644085/

I find the Fleibing's "SNOW-PROOF" does a nice job on all leather slings. It a beeswax and neat's-foot oil mixture,
    found it best with a clean leather item and get it in the sun and then apply when warm and it get absorbed and done.

usedon my boots before hunting season and woork great. in winter if you have to re-apply do it around a furnace to warm and let the compound get absorbed.

I happen to use Pecard. This company has several types. The one I purchased and am 100% satisfied with it is their Antique Leather Dressing. Bought the 16 oz tub. Outstanding quality and protection. Can be and is used on your shoes and boots. Also recommended use for saddles, harness and other leather goods.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

4. Default

Adding to what JonnM said, don't apply the Pecards and set the leather out in the sun to speed it up. The sun melts it and breaks it down. I just apply a thin coat every few years, set the rifle back in the safe, and let the leather absorb it.

I apply a thin coat and let it sit for 2 to 3 days to let it soak in. Depending on my schedule, I have gone a couple of days more. I then give it a light buffing with a soft rag, let it set another day and use a soft shoe brush for a final buffing.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Skidmore's leather cream. Wipe it down once a year but make sure the excess is wiped off once you work it in. Good stuff
    Last edited by milboltnut; 02-12-2022 at 04:29.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

On my M1907 slings I use Montana Pitch Blend, which is a mix of pine pitch, mink oil & beeswax. They claim it inhibits fungus/mildew. I like it because it leaves a slightly tacky feel, which is what I want on an adjustable sling.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

I used to use saddle soap, and it actually worked ok. I found Mink Oil to be better though and I have used Lexol with good results.

Pecard, only.

I work at a military museum and no cleaner, conditioner, treatment or preservative is allowed on leather. These artifacts will not be in use or handled so only light vacuuming to remove atmospheric deposit. They are a time capsule for the future of military use.

All these treatments listed will discolor leather, all will accelerate decomposition. Any applied amendments will devalue your artifact.
    If you wish to make items more pliant and useable, go ahead, I certainly did before I knew different.

hyrax222