Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default keeping your sling soft and pliable ??

hi guys , what are using to keeping your sling
    soft and pliable ??
    please post , many thanks, rojo

I’ve used Lexol with good results.

My go to sling is a standard USGI marked MRT that I bought at a gunshow way back in the days of Reagan. Gave it a dose of mink oil, not to much, just enough and have used it ever since. Regular doses of sweat and occasional wiping w/ a cloth lightly dampened in mink oil has kept it nice. It is not soft as a pair of deerskin moccasins. Don't want it that soft. It is about like a nice old belt, soft but stiff enough for the job at hand ... holding hard for prone slow and rapid, etc. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

I have several that date to 1917/1918 on 1903 rifles, and finally settled to Pecards. Every year or so I give them a very light coat and they have held up well. Have a couple I used Mink Oil on, and they form a white residue that has to be removed. The Mink Oil treated are still pliable, but still form the white residue no matter how many times it is wiped off.

On my leather, I use either pure lanolin or jojoba oil. Both can be found on the bay.
    I learned my lesson with neatsfoot oil.

please tell me about neatsfoot oil ??

I can tell you about my experience with neatsfoot oil. Sometime around 1975 I gave my dad a Randall knife with his name on it. My dad was a firm believer in neatsfoot oil, and treated the knife scabbard with it. Over the years the leather has turned very dark, and the strap has almost disintegrated around the snap. The scabbards on Randall knives I bought in the same time period are still in excellent condition.

ok , I thought I would ask, many thanks,

Neatsfoot promotes the growth of nasty little critters that affect the leather and especially the stitching.
    Lanolin and jojoba inhibits the growth.

Here’s a good article on the pros and cons of neatsfoot oil.

https://favoredleather.com/is-neatsf...eather%20pores.