Default CMP sold M1 Carbine stripped receivers

3130A90E-8156-443D-8954-7F762DA64181.jpg3130A90E-8156-443D-8954-7F762DA64181.jpgYears ago I bought two universal carbine receivers
    From CMP. They told me at the time that they were
    Returns from South America used as military aid.
    That they were given back to the military and then sold by CMP with the other carbines.
    Does any one know anything about these receivers?
    They do have a interesting past.
    Comments would be appreciated.
    Would they be considered GI surplus?
    Last edited by harold; 10-04-2021 at 06:09. Reason: Add pictures

Years ago I bought some commercial carbine barrels from a seller on GB. I asked where the barrels came from, they were all used, some were altered as in cut down, dove tails, etc. He said the word he got was they were from the Bay of Pigs conflict. The U.S. had sent a bunch of commercial carbines there for the Cuban exiles to defend themselves.

Don't know if any of this is true but the story would kind of match the Universal receiver sales by the CMP.

Some of the barrels were Universal old style and new style, some were Plainfield, some were made from surplus 1903 Springfield barrels.

At the time CMP was selling these I had taken a trip down to the south store in Anniston. I purchased a nice H&R Garand, and also noticed a small box full of commercial M1 carbine receivers. 50 dollars each. Most of them that were left were either Universal or drilled and tapped for some type of side mounted optic.

I managed to pick up a Plainfield mfg one with no drill/tapped holes.

Was told by the staff at this time the receivers came from rifles used in South America, and the condition was so bad, the only thing salvageable were some of the receivers.
    Last edited by Hal O'Peridol; 10-04-2021 at 09:26.
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

Blog Entries

I was in the South Store a bit over 5 yrs ago, on the day after they released the big pile of carbines,

they were damn near empty, note much of anything left except for some Sniper stuff,

they did have a cart with a handful of stripped barreled actions (Carbines) that were in poor shape,

I was told they were the leftovers, but was not told where they came from

from the condition, I would bet SA

At one point they had a stack of crates in the warehouse that came back from South America and I want to say Ecuador. They had literally been stored in a building that either had chickens or other birds in it and the crates were covered in poop. The rifles were in such poor shape they were broken down for parts. The carbines came from a similar scenario in which a few commercial carbines were returned with the US MAP guns and most were stripped and sold for parts. That was the first carbine release in a long time and as I recall they sold fairly quickly. Don’t quote me on dates but it was before the Italian carbines came back like maybe 04-05.