Default Iron sight practice.

Tried a little iron sight this morning with 3 different rifles. Guess I can't blame them for not getting 10x. Same score with all three, 100-7x. Shot off my table with a rest. All in all pretty happy for shooting at that dark fuzzy cloud at 100 yds.

3 rifles..jpg

Fine shooting! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

when I shoot off a bench with my MILSURPS I shoot over a range bag to simulate the foxhole position in qualification when I was in the army. I find this gives the best evaluation of practical accuracy.

It doesn't matter if the bull looks like a dark fuzzy cloud or the back sight is a hazy ring as long as the front sight is sharp and clear. The bullets will go where they're supposed to if you do your part as you did and your targets illustrate.

Before COVID I used to shoot an occasional Garand match. I was talking to an old boy there who said he used to hunt prairie dogs up in north Texas. They'd go out, set up benches a hundred yards or so from the edge of a prairie dog down and shoot heavy barrel varmint rifles with powerful scopes over Caldwell rests at the little critters up to several hundred yards. They would knock off the little pests with great regularity. For many years he had only shot through glass. The fellow told me the day he shot his first three position match with an iron sighted M1 he had to make a reassesment of his shooting skills. It's a significantly different game.

Unfortunately most young people now start out shooting through glass and never shoot anything else, which I find unfortunate.
    Last edited by Art; 10-04-2021 at 12:39.

Blog Entries

I have a friend that it took me years to get him to start shooting Service Rifle,
    he loved wildcats, reloading, etc etc,
    bug time hunter, always with glass,

he finally started just before I stopped, and got the bug hard,

not distinguished, yet, but is a Master or High Master and travels to shoot,

he told me he did not know why it took him so long to do it, and that it improved his hunting success as well

when I shot local stuff, for a few years I shot a Garand Match on the first relay (we did 50 round agg matches), then an AR on the second,
    good times,

now, with scopes, everyone, esp the older guys, have had their scores improve a bit, once they got used to the scope

My eyes are to the point where I still enjoy shooting iron sights even though I am aiming at that fuzzy grey cloud that used to be a nice crisp target. Have to admit I used to make fun of the guys that had to use optics, now I are one if I want to get a decent score. Gone, for this old guy, are the days of shooting positions. 10 years ago I pretty much lost the use of my left arm and have tried to make up for it by shooting, most of the time, prone with a bipod.
    Last edited by nf1e; 11-11-2021 at 04:51.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    My eyes are to the point where I still enjoy shooting iron sights even though I am aiming at that fuzzy grey cloud that used to be a nice crisp target. Have to admit I used to make fun of the guys that had to use optics, now I are one if I want to get a decent score. Gone, for this old guy, are the days of shooting positions. 10 years ago I pretty much lost the use of my left arm and have tried to make up for it by shooting, most of the time, prone with a bipod.
    my Knees tell me that it would be unwise to shoot kneeling (not that I ever did)

they also get a bit grumpy if I try to go old school and drop into position,

thankfully, you can start in position now, but they still bother me in sitting,

too many years walking on concrete,

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    my Knees tell me that it would be unwise to shoot kneeling (not that I ever did)

they also get a bit grumpy if I try to go old school and drop into position,

thankfully, you can start in position now, but they still bother me in sitting,

too many years walking on concrete,
    Too many years up and down ladders and roofs are the main reason for my body taking it easy these days. I just love prone and have been know to get so comfortable that I can easily snooze in close to a shooting position.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Too many years up and down ladders and roofs are the main reason for my body taking it easy these days. I just love prone and have been know to get so comfortable that I can easily snooze in close to a shooting position.
    LOL,

I know how you feel about prone,

thankfully our club has a loudspeaker for range calls,

a couple times I came close to taking a nap ,

9. Default

Took a while but finally got some thousand inch targets. Will hit a club meeting and get permission to set up frame on the side of the high power sight in range. Start using the Anschutz.