Default Kerosen lanterns

Gents,

Not gun talk but got a question about vintage kersone lanterns retrieved from my wifes grandmothers house. The last use was probably around WWII. The kersone in the resovoir was allowed to evaporate over time leaving an amber colored coating I'm unable to remove. The resovoirs are clear glass and the lamp might be known as a hurricane lamp to many of you. Any ideas as to what to use to remove the crud from the resovoir? I tried fresh lamp oil to no avail. I imagine gasolne might work but am reluctant to use it except as a last resort.

VG

Don't know why you are reluctant to use gasoline but that's your business.

I have dealt with so much such stuff I pass over all the household cleaners that do very little. I don't know what you have laying around the house but try WD-40. It is petroleum based like the kerosene. If that doesn't work I would go to acetone. If no luck then go to paint remover (not paint thinner). As you know that is about as strong a chemical you can buy without some kind of license. May need some steel wool scrubbing as well but may not be room for your hand in the lantern.

It's glass, you're not going to hurt it with chemicals.

Blog Entries

I agree with Allen

refill with kero and let them set a bit,

then see if you can rub or scrub out what may be left,

bottle brush may help

Wouldn't burn the gasoline but like others say a light petroleum distillate is the way to go to beat the crud.

Thanks, Guys/ I'll these ideas a go

- - - Updated - - -

I'll give these ideas a go...not sure why computer suddenly started dropping words and misspelling kerosene. Sheesh!

go to: https://lanternnet.com or Lehman.com for another sources.

https://www.hometalk.com/9602691/q-h...-kerosene-lamp

Looks like alcohol will remove dried kerosene residue.

8. Default

I lived in London , England as a child at a time when "central heating" was virtually non existent.

In the winter we used kerosene heaters in the bath room . To this day the smell of kero brings me right back to that.

My old Grandad would have cleaned your lamps out with alcohol . as in nowadays... isopropyl or even rubbing .

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpebble View Post
    I lived in London , England as a child at a time when "central heating" was virtually non existent.

In the winter we used kerosene heaters in the bath room . To this day the smell of kero brings me right back to that.

My old Grandad would have cleaned your lamps out with alcohol . as in nowadays... isopropyl or even rubbing .
    I remember walking to school during the cold weather in the late 40s and early 50s when a lot of houses around us were still heated with coal. We had a gas boiler. The coal smoke would hang around when the wind was calm and choke us as we walked. A big coal pile would be dumped in front of the houses with coal furnace and had to be shoveled into the basement through the coal chute which was covered by a metal door with an opening that was a little bit wider than the coal shovel.

Hurricane lamps don't have glass reservoirs. Leave the crud, it's "Patina"