Default Hunting ammo , not better

Amazing to say the least, I keep a pretty close watch on hunting ammo and components. The last two days I've visited several stores looking for things for myself and as always I look the overall over and see what is and isn't. A local large hardware store had nothing in hunting ammo for 30-06, .270 and such as well as no shotgun shells except a few 12 ga. large shot and a couple of special things like turkey loads but not much of any of it. Same for pistol/revolver stuff like .44 mag .357/.38 and such. But they did have .223/5.56 9mm and other Nato rounds. Little to no 22 ammo. It does not seem to be getting much better for components either nor does it seem to be anything on the horizon that is going to relieve this much if any. People are running around like chickens with their heads cut off with some in a Biden lost daze looking for ammo to go hunting with and it simply ain't there to get, nor is much in the way of reloading components. I see real shock on their faces, I wonder if they learned anything over the going on 2 years. Are your shelves fully stocked with hunting calibers? By the way I did find one thing I was looking for a new Leupold LPVO for my 45-70, I got the irons I wanted and now its time to scope it which I did last night. what are ya seeing?
    BudT
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
    what are ya seeing?
    Still bare shelves here at all the WalMarts. Gun shops have very little ammo with jacked up prices. Both places have a few guns but nothing of interest.

Lots of hunting rifles at the local Wal-Mart. Surprise! Surprise! A goodly number are Henry rimfire and centerfire. One is a steel frame replica of the original Henry at about $2K plus tax! Also have plebian grade bolt rifles by Savage, Mossberg, Remington. Have some higher end Savage rifles in 6.5 Creedmore set up w/ heavy barrels, marksmanship type stocking, etc. Piles of knives, etc in the glass counter. However, not one single box of pistol, rifle or shotgun ammunition. Local pawn shop which I frequent has a pile of various pistols and rifles and a smattering of shotguns. They also have ... (drum roll please!!!) ammunition !!! Mostly it is in common calibers and mostly it is priced at the top of the market, but it is available for sale. Thank God Almighty ... I have two very old boxes of .30-30 and four new boxes to use in my beloved little Marlin 336 "Waffle Top," about three boxes of very old .30-40 Krag ammo to use in my Krag Infantry Rifle, and plenty of M-2 ball and of course necessary hunting ammo and of course powder and primers and brass and bullets to make lots more! Would really regret having to try to find ammunition at this late date. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Some places like Wideners are starting to make a come-back with a little inventory and falling prices. Maybe the local shops will obtain supplies soon too.

www.wideners.com

Di9d find at Kittery trading post some 45-70 & 22 cb caps no 22lr Though. Some 556 9mm 45 acp

At one store a lady was looking for some 6.5 Creedmore I don't know if it was for her or someone else but none there. The same place did have a few boxes of 6mm Creedmore but with match bullets and nothing in hunting stuff. Another guy was looking for some .300 Win mag and that's a no go. His son was with him and he had found a box of .300 Win mag but it cost him around 70 dollars to get that one box. By the time they go out and check the sights on 2 rifles they wont have much left to go hunt with maybe 7-8 rounds each. Not the best thing for both deer and elk hunting. I'm glad I planned for this sort of stuff.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

At Dundee, MI., cabalas, have some ammo, 45acp,. .40S&W, 9mm.

no primers or powder. skimpy brass. No .22 littlw shotgun, reloading component are heavy on Hornady, little Sierra.

Pretty near all components that I have seen were Hornady with few Sierra or Nosler and Berger. I bought 4 boxes of 300 grain Hornady .458 FN bullets for my 46-70 they were the most abundant bullet on the shelf. I'm set for those new and probably for life.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

I went to Cabelas here in Ottawa and found that they had virtually no reloading powder and to my surprise almost no .22s except for some specialty target ammunition. Absolutely no bulk ammunition at all. I have been looking for .303 British bullets for some time and after a lot of searching found one supplier who had two boxes left. They were 150 grain from Prvi Partizan rather than the 174 or 180 grain from Sierra or Hornady but they were the only ones available so I ordered them (beggars can't be choosers). Now I have bullets but so far, no powder.

It's a real situation to be in. It has been reported by several people that Canada is "far" better off than those of us down here in the U.S., sounds like they were full of it. I don't shoot a 303 Brit but I do use the same bullets in my Argentine and am fixed pretty good on that. I've seen powder but it's bits and pieces and here and there and no primers except in ZIDAHO for stupid prices. If you were close enough I would give you a couple boxes worth to load up and hunt with. I even have some of the old Norma and I think they are 180 grain. Good luck and your right, ya get what ya can get.
    Last edited by BudT; 09-25-2021 at 11:52.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH