Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Covid vaccines

Didn't answer his question/\.
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by oscars View Post
    There are only three approved vaccines: the two mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) and the viral vector vaccine (J and J) which does not approach the efficacy of the mRNA vaccines (66-70% vs 95%).
    Correct. And latest studies show the effectiveness of the Pfizer jab is now down to less than 50%. In less than a year.
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by oscars View Post
    Newsom?s kids are under 12 and are not vaccinated because there is no approved vaccine for this age group.
    Then why did Newsom ORDER a mandate for ALL kids in K-12?

Quote Originally Posted by Hal O'Peridol View Post
    Now you are being deliberately obtuse. Again, what is your training and background?
    Here you go.

I'm an engineer. Not a biomedical one but I have worked in the medical industry, still earning paychecks doing it. I know a few things about sensitivity analysis, statistics, probability, separating facts supported by data from opinion and wishful thinking. The thing about engineering is the physical laws that decide whether a component fails because it got too hot, too cold, was too soft, the wrong shape, etc., those laws don't care about anybody's feelings. If an engineer wants to build stuff that works, he has to respect those laws. The complete opposite of politics.

So ideas like adding a little bit of resistance to virus transmission with ordinary masks, to get the R0 from above 1.0 to below 1.0 make sense to me. The mask doesn't have to stop every case to be worthwhile. But if enough masks are used by enough people, it can knock down the rate of spread in the population to the point where the caseload stays down, or doesn't go up as fast--the so-called flattening of the curve. Why do they do that? To avoid ICU overrun with the most severe cases and the fatality spikes we have seen in a few spots. If it wasn't for that, then probably no mask orders, vaccine mandates.

I have no doubt you think your work experience and training stack up higher than that. That's fine by me, I don't care. But, your training in infectious diseases was put together by outfits like the CDC, was it not? The same CDC that says that masks help slow down the spread of the virus, and that mRNA vaccines are not rewriting your DNA? So if eye rolls are in order, I'll roll mine at the idea that according to you I can't cite the CDC or Mayo clinic or other sources when they explain these treatments.

You believe what you want. But beliefs put out as stone cold facts, those might get challenged.

Blog Entries

wow Hal, you got an answer,

that rarely happens,

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    wow Hal, you got an answer,

that rarely happens,
    What IS the point of the snide remarks anyways?

This advances civil discussion how exactly?

Blog Entries

just another day of you actually answering a question,

a milestone here at Jouster,

of course, none of it qualifies you for diddly in this discussion, but that's ok, it's a start

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    Here you go.

I'm an engineer. Not a biomedical one but I have worked in the medical industry, still earning paychecks doing it. I know a few things about sensitivity analysis, statistics, probability, separating facts supported by data from opinion and wishful thinking. The thing about engineering is the physical laws that decide whether a component fails because it got too hot, too cold, was too soft, the wrong shape, etc., those laws don't care about anybody's feelings. If an engineer wants to build stuff that works, he has to respect those laws. The complete opposite of politics.

So ideas like adding a little bit of resistance to virus transmission with ordinary masks, to get the R0 from above 1.0 to below 1.0 make sense to me. The mask doesn't have to stop every case to be worthwhile. But if enough masks are used by enough people, it can knock down the rate of spread in the population to the point where the caseload stays down, or doesn't go up as fast--the so-called flattening of the curve. Why do they do that? To avoid ICU overrun with the most severe cases and the fatality spikes we have seen in a few spots. If it wasn't for that, then probably no mask orders, vaccine mandates.

I have no doubt you think your work experience and training stack up higher than that. That's fine by me, I don't care. But, your training in infectious diseases was put together by outfits like the CDC, was it not? The same CDC that says that masks help slow down the spread of the virus, and that mRNA vaccines are not rewriting your DNA? So if eye rolls are in order, I'll roll mine at the idea that according to you I can't cite the CDC or Mayo clinic or other sources when they explain these treatments.

You believe what you want. But beliefs put out as stone cold facts, those might get challenged.
    You and Hal share something in common, and that levels the opinion field a bit.

Unless he's a nurse practitioner, neither of you can legally prescribe medications.
    Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 10-04-2021 at 12:37.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    You and Hal share something in common, and that levels the opinion field a bit.

Unless he's a nurse practitioner, neither of you can legally prescribe medications.
    Never wanted to be a doctor.

Hal wanted to know something about my background, how it plays into how I think about COVID, so I told him.

He's well within his rights to conclude I'm full of it, LOL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    Never wanted to be a doctor.

Hal wanted to know something about my background, how it plays into how I think about COVID, so I told him.

He's well within his rights to conclude I'm full of it, LOL.
    He may, and that's what I mean. Nurses are graded in part by quality of care surveys, and not opinions of vaccine efficacy. You've already pointed out...we ALL rely on external recommendations and the CDC.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman