Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Washing machines that just look like washing machines

So, I bought this new washer. It's HE(high efficiency). I really should know better. It doesn't have an actual agitator, it has 1" high bumps at bottom of the tub. I kind of thought, good idea, I can wash the sleeping bags and maybe even the tents in it. But it doesn't clean clothes. First off it cuts back on water. You know, save water for the environment. I can wash my jeans three times with all the setting at Heavy Duty and they still don't come clean. I hope all the new washers aren't this stingy on water. I checked the reviews and people hate these things. I read a proffesional review and mine(and all the others) fail every catagory except water and energy savings. I wrote a scathing review myself and got it accepted. Monday Whirlpool(who bought Maytag) is going to hear from me.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Blog Entries

can you just go back to using a flat rock down on the river bank?

Until I get rid of this thing I might have to use the bathroom sink or the ce-ment pond.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Until I get rid of this thing I might have to use the bathroom sink or the ce-ment pond.
    that made me LOL

wife and I got marred in 1986 (35 yrs and 5 days ago),
    when I met her grandmother, she (grandmother) was still using one of those old style washers,

looked like a barrel attached to a frame, with the rollers to roll out the water,
    damn thing had what looked like an old truck gear shift on the side to make it work,

she passed in the late 90's,, and was still using it ,,,,,
    they sold it after she passed, for as much as a new washer cost

Maybe they made the toilets that somehow save water by needing to be flushed three times.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    looked like a barrel attached to a frame, with the rollers to roll out the water,
    damn thing had what looked like an old truck gear shift on the side to make it work,
    Those "rollers" were wringers, thus the name "wringer washer". After the clothes were washed. They were laid across the feed ramp and fed into the rubber rollers. The pressure between the rollers was adjustable so if the clothes got waded up, it would pop the top roller. Worked when you got your fingers caught too, I know first hand, or finger, as the case may be. If the pressure was set too high. It was tough on buttons.

The "4 on the floor" shift on the side shifted the transmission to agitate/wash the clothes, shift wringer forward or back, and pump out the water. You could attach a hose and water the yard or garden. The soap then was milder, and wouldn't kill the grass or vegetables. You had to add the water, usually from a hose from a double sink (concrete) in the garage.

Years ago, gas stations had hand cranked wringers for their chamois skin "rags" to clean car windows...before squegees.
    Last edited by PWC; 09-19-2021 at 06:10.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    Those "rollers" were wringers, thus the name "wringer washer". After the clothes were washed. They were laid across the feed ramp and fed into the rubber rollers. The pressure between the rollers was adjustable so if the clothes got waded up, it would pop the top roller. Worked when you got your fingers caught too, I know first hand, or finger, as the case may be. If the pressure was set too high. It was tough on buttons.

The "4 on the floor" shift on the side shifted the transmission to agitate/wash the clothes, shift wringer forward or back, and pump out the water. You could attach a hose and water the yard or garden. The soap then was milder, and wouldn't kill the grass or vegetables. You had to add the water, usually from a hose from a double sink (concrete) in the garage.

Years ago, gas stations had hand cranked wringers for their chamois skin "rags" to clean car windows...before squegees.
    yup,

she had a piece of wood to put over it, then a sewn cover she had made

the house they had was small, so it sat and was used in the kitchen,
    laundry time,, pull the cover, move the wood, and use it, (hose from the sink,, drained in the sink)
    when done, wipe it off, cover it up, and roll it (it was on wheels) back over to the spot it sat in for probably 40+ years, cover it up and use it as a small table if needed,,

Yep, mother had old maytag with the rollers. In 1970 dad bought a new maytag automatic and brought the old one to camp. needless to say, mother would take the laundry home to wash.

Just a side note; my grandma bought her first refridgerator back in 1952. When she passed I hauled it to my garage to keep drinks cold. It still works! Even the very small freezer compartment.

Anyone remember the old “Hoosiers”?