Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Yes, body filler. That made alot of instant " bodymen" You had to be alert when shopping for used cars.

I was surprised to see all the body parts that are available for old cars.
    Last edited by Merc; 09-17-2021 at 10:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Yes, on popular models, and no one makes all the parts. If restoring a badly bent or rusted car a donor car is still sometimes needed for certain parts. Often, smaller parts can be fabricated from scratch. All of this adds up quickly to the total cost.

It's easy for a good restoration job to cost way more than the car is worth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    JEEP's, VW's and a few American cars can be assembled from parts ordered thru various supply houses

5. Default

You only have to watch the Barrett-Jackson auctions for a short time to see what a bath someone took in some of the less popular restorations.

Mid70?s to early 80?s American cars are from the planned obsolescence era. They failed miserably by design. Detroit?s way of selling more cars sooner than later.
    The Japanese capitalized on that folly by offering cheaper but longer running vehicles.

I did my share of shade tree body and mechanical work. After I completed my automotive apprenticeship and left the trade behind me.
    Those cars were junk off the assembly line for the most part. Even Caddy?s had orange peel paint most times.
    In 1977 Ford had 26 recalls to be done before an LTD was allowed to hit the streets. Anything from bad wiper circuit breakers to fan blades which could fly apart at speed.
    Had a couple of engines which didn?t have the oil galley completely drilled in the blocks. Meaning it ate lifers like a gator at feeding time in a zoo.

If your friend wants to dress up an old car to have a seldom seen daily driver, then that?s OK. They even sell/swap better.
    To win at shows judged by paint and chrome nazis?go the custom route. Original is too costly. Why restore an old turd to a like new turd? The nitpickers will definitely hurt feelings.

Once knew a guy with a cherry 68 Vette. Always lost because the drivers side mirror had a1969 part number etched into the glass. That car wasn?t restored to original. It was original. It wasn?t until he could prove the glass and the ?early 69 console? was correct for his 1968 1/2.
    Last edited by JB White; 09-19-2021 at 05:26.

Blog Entries

Mom had a Pontiac Gran Safari LeMans wagon,

old lady green with wood grain decals,

it as not a great car, (1978 model)
    for a short bit later she had a Gran Prix, may have been a 82,,, similar body and drivetrain as the LeMans,,
    it was a nice looking car, but not reliable,

most folks that I have seen in this area that still have them, have done a good paint job, an a crate motor added,
    and either the hoopty 20 or 22" rims,, or Cragers,,,