Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1970's Auto Restoration Question

So a friend has a mid 1970's Cadillac, which for some reason he is thinking of restoring, and he asked an interesting question:

This car, at the the time supposedly at the pinnacle of American automotive manufacturing, came from the factory with poorly fitting panels and runs in the paint. If restored to original condition, should that include paint runs and gaps between panels the size of a child's thumb?

First thought is "no" but then again if that is original condition, then for an accurate restoration the answer might be "yes".

Anyways a good tongue-in-cheek question!

Once I belonged to a Mustang car club.
    At a show, one of our members had a ?66 coupe that he had bought brand new.
    At the show, he was giged for having a kick panel on the passenger side that had one of the securing screws missing.
    Try as he might, he couldn?t convince the judge that it came from the factory with that screw missing.
    That car was ORIGINAL, but . . . .being a Ford, it had it?s flaws!

(Gotta love that damn query mark, rather than the apostrophe.)
    Last edited by JimF; 09-11-2021 at 06:53.

3. Default

fix it right

Blog Entries

which 70's vintage,
    1970? or 1979?

makes a difference

Factory/original is not always best. These production line autos were rushed and the workers probably had a quota of some type. No one is going to want or pay good money for a restored car with gaps and runs.

I hate to see classic cars modified unless the original parts stay with the car and the car can be returned back to original state if need ever come. (less the imperfections).

If this cady is mid to late 70's and anything but a convertible or Eldorado it is probably a waste of time and effort but that's his money, not ours. I think 1976 was the last year for the Eldorado convt. If it is a 4dr it may be worth more as a donor or parts car to someone else.

Saw a '59 Eldorado convertible sell last night on Mecom auctions for $300K. Probably the nicest one in existence though.

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    which 70's vintage,
    1970? or 1979?

makes a difference
    1977 I believe.

The bad years when they came off the line already rusting.

Bad style era too.

God Only Knows why he thinks it's a good restoration choice.

Forget which model.

Late 1970s GM cars were not great vehicles, if it were mine and I were going to restore it I'd put a great paint job on it.

I know, lipstick on a pig.

Now this is a '64; probably a better choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpDVvAlHC70
    Last edited by Art; 09-11-2021 at 09:01.

Blog Entries

I would fix as best I could (mechanicals were not good in that era) and maybe go a step or 2 above a MAACO paint job,

9. Default

There is a difference between factory original and perfect/flawless restoration.

The cost to restore by a GOOD shop would be astronomical! Not worth it unless you had money to waste!