Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Value of CMP Collector Grade today?

Hi guys,

I'm in the market looking for a CMP Collector Grade M1.

What, in your opinion, is an upper-end price for a really nice looking Collector Grade these days? When I say "nice looking" I mean good-looking wood set, minimal dings and gouges. Not "Unissued Greek Return" nice, but pretty close to that. Something like a 5.8 mil Springfield, nice wood.

Just trying to get a feel for what the market is these days as I've been out of the gun-buying world for several years, but my gun collection was stolen a few years ago, and I'm looking to replace a few icons, like the Garand.

Thanks,
    DeWayne

Expect to pay at least $1000.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Expect to pay at least $1000.
    really?

depends on the maker, likely 2x's that

Look at Gunbroker. There's not a complete Garand in there for less than $900; nothing you'd want to own as a beater for less than $1200, shooters start about $1500. Collectables look like they start well over $2k. It's not a hobby for the faint of heart.

5. Default

Yeah, I'm thinking more like $3k for a really nice one, no?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeWayne Hayes View Post
    depends on the maker, and year and correct as in all the bits and bobs look like it was there when made,
    that will be a bit higher than a restoration collector grade,

Quote Originally Posted by DeWayne Hayes View Post
    You don't want to be known as the guy who paid three grand for a "collectable". I can't think of a Garand rifle anywhere I've seen that could command $3K. You aren't worthy. You aren't even allowed to park next to the building where it's at.
    I've seen GB Garand's approach 3K. Can't recall which one that was. But, buying a "collectable" is a path that you don't want to follow right now. Of course if you have money to throw around it just helps the community. I'll stick with my OP: you can't get a good Garand off of GB for less than 1K. You can pay 1.5K and get a field grade. My advice: stay up late and watch GB for forty hrs. and get a feel for it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    You don't want to be known as the guy who paid three grand for a "collectable". I can't think of a Garand rifle anywhere I've seen that could command $3K. You aren't worthy. You aren't even allowed to park next to the building where it's at.
    I've seen GB Garand's approach 3K. Can't recall which one that was. But, buying a "collectable" is a path that you don't want to follow right now. Of course if you have money to throw around it just helps the community. I'll stick with my OP: you can't get a good Garand off of GB for less than 1K. You can pay 1.5K and get a field grade. My advice: stay up late and watch GB for forty hrs. and get a feel for it.
    for $3K you will find some of the more rare varieties,

for over $3K you will find D's C's and a pile of NM

9. Default

To be fair, I count three Collector Grade rifles on GB at the moment, two of which have starting/minimum bids set at $2,500 and one is sale only at $3,999.

A few Correct Grades all over $2,500.

I don't think my $3k notion is out of whack. May be more than you feel they're worth, but I don't see them for sale at $1,500 or even $2k.

I see loads of Garands on Gun Broker that are asking over $1500 but are they selling? But no, I still don't think you will pick up any Garand on GB for less than $995. (Mostly)people know the market. The sellers of $2500 rifles are counting on the "Greater Fool theory". But there's too many of them out there for that to work very well. They paid $650 -750 for that CMP Garand, they will make a profit eventually.
    NM, maybe. D and C's @ $3K just sit there.