Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

get an account on gunborker is you do not already have one,

the search using the advanced search , completed auctions,

you can then see what they sold for,( it will have bids ) not what someone was asking or fishing for

2. Default

That's brilliant advice, thanks!

From a search of closed "Collector Grade" auctions, looks like a couple sold for around $1,500-$1,800, while a few others sold in the neighborhood of $2,500-$2,800.

So, looks like $1,500-$2,500 is a realistic range.

Thanks,
    DeWayne

Many years ago, I sold my correct WW2 Winchester for $1500. It was all Winchester, WW2 numbers and only the wood was replaced. BTW, it was a Danish return.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Many years ago, I sold my correct WW2 Winchester for $1500. It was all Winchester, WW2 numbers and only the wood was replaced. BTW, it was a Danish return.
    5 yrs or so ago, I sold 4 M1's for a friend,

all were restorations to as they would have left the factory in each year,
    all were done well, he searched long and hard for the correct stuff with matching finishes,
    not a single piece was refinished

the Winchester brought $2500, the Springfield's (1945/1944/1943) brought $2000 each,

5. Default

Back around 2008 or 2009 (can't recall) I bought an exceptional, pristine Type II National Match from Joe Salter and I want to say I paid around $4k. I can't recall exactly, but I remember it was so nice I didn't really want to shoot it - in fact, I never did - and wished I had spent less money on a less collectable, more shootable gun. Wound up selling it a couple years later.

All these years later, I think a nice Collector Grade is probably more what I'm looking for. Or even a really nice Correct Grade.

Honestly, where I live, good "shooter grade" M1s with a few dings are all around $1,000.00. If I just wanted a pretty gun to shoot I'd buy a CMP Special Grade, looks great, shoots good, and costs a bit over $1,000.00 Our son has one and is very happy with it.

Collectability is another thing entirely. If you want an all correct pretty rifle be prepared to pay, because you aren't just buying a gun to shoot; you are, in fact, buying a gun a lot of people, like Mr. Hayes, will never shoot.
    Last edited by Art; 09-11-2021 at 03:23.

One of the most desireable features of a "collector grade" is an original, correctly marked cartouched stock. I've seen supposedly collector grades sold on GB and other sites that were refinished, overhauled and marked with an arsenal stamp. The cartouched stock can be more valuable than the rest of the rifle. I know that Large Wheel GHS stocks were selling for over a thousand dollars in Southern California, and that was 20 years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Scott View Post
    One of the most desireable features of a "collector grade" is an original, correctly marked cartouched stock. I've seen supposedly collector grades sold on GB and other sites that were refinished, overhauled and marked with an arsenal stamp. The cartouched stock can be more valuable than the rest of the rifle. I know that Large Wheel GHS stocks were selling for over a thousand dollars in Southern California, and that was 20 years ago....
    This is so true. It is also something you really have to be careful about. Over the years I've seen "fraud kits," that is reproduction kits of the dies used to do the cartouches for sale on several sites. Dummied up stocks are out there and they can be hard to detect. There is an outfit called Bardall's that advertises these dies as "stock refinishing" items.
    Last edited by Art; 09-14-2021 at 02:26. Reason: Spelling

DeWayne, if you are back in the area, or coming soon, PM me. I have something that might fit what you are looking for.
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

Expect to pay in excess of 3K for a true papered correct collector grade, not some of the so called " corrected" that folks put together in their basements with parts from all over. Funny today how some try to pull the wool over buyer's eyes by saying something is correct when indeed it is not. A rifle is not really correct unless it is as it came from the factory with all of the original parts still installed. A rifle can not really be made correct if it was not to start with.