1. Default Are Model 1868 and 1870 breachblocks interchangable?

I have what appears to be a Model 1870 Springfield of the second variation. However the breachblock is clearly of the 1868 type, dated 1870. Are the two breachblocks interchangable? All the other parts appear to clearly be Model 1870. It appears to have been professionally installed and the coloration and condition seems to match. There is a small amount of side play in the block. If you put your thumb on top and push down there is a small amount of up and down movement. Is it common to find guns with this modification? Could it be original?? I was thinking of shooting this rifle with proper black powder cartridges and was just wondering about the safety factor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-07-2021 at 06:18.

Probably not "original as made", but certainly looks like it could have been there a long time. When I started collecting the old wives tales said the blocks were different and would not interchange - not true. There is a fair amount of misunderstanding/misinformation STILL circulating about the 68s and 70s. Biggest problem is those sharp operators who want Model 1870 money for what is actually the most common variety of the 1868 going! Pisses me off.

4. Default

Thanks Fred, thanks Dick. Dick, just received your book in the mail yesterday, by the way. Strangely enough, when I bought this rifle several years ago at the Forks of the Delaware collectors show in Allentown, PA, the seller identified it as a Model 1868! A friend at the show correctly identified it as a Model 70 but apparently neither of us was sharp enough to identify the breachblock!

Looking at its profile, one can see that it’s the Thicker block that won’t swing up as far as an 1870 block when opened.
    You probably already noticed that.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-08-2021 at 05:56.

6. Default

Fred, I previously determined it was an 1868 block by comparing the underside to some photos of both 1868 and 1870 blocks that I was able to find and the fact that the word "Model" was missing from the top. As I stated, I received a copy of Dick Hosmer's book on the 50-70's just the other day and learned for the first time about the thickness issue. I had not known about that before. After looking at the pictures and my rifle, there was no further doubt in my mind. I do not believe the book or any other book I happen to own addresses the issue of interchangability and that's when I decided to ask my question.

Quote Originally Posted by arnrifk View Post
    Fred, I previously determined it was an 1868 block by comparing the underside to some photos of both 1868 and 1870 blocks that I was able to find and the fact that the word "Model" was missing from the top. As I stated, I received a copy of Dick Hosmer's book on the 50-70's just the other day and learned for the first time about the thickness issue. I had not known about that before. After looking at the pictures and my rifle, there was no further doubt in my mind. I do not believe the book or any other book I happen to own addresses the issue of interchangability and that's when I decided to ask my question.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'll make sure that I comment on that if I ever revise my book. It was done by North Cape the old-fashioned way, with a large print run. When I did my second book - by myself - I made it a little larger in size, and of course it is "print on demand". My goal is to someday re-do the .58/.50 book, electronically, in the larger format, to include the various tidbits of info I've picked up since 2006. The 1868 coverage will be greatly increased, thanks to Fred having found some goodies, and of course I finally found a 68/68 for myself.

Dick, I’ll take some photo’s for you of number 6 with a white background and email them to you. Let me know if you need better ones.
    I’ll be sure to include pictures of the inside of the barrel channel showing the Armory inlaid wood and of all stamps in metal And wood.
    Also of it’s unique breech block and it’s unique firing pin, of the Rear Sight and how the receiver was modified to mount it where it was.
    also of its thicker cleaning rod with the cupped end.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-10-2021 at 10:13.

Thanks, I know you will - but there is NO RUSH!!!!

If you are using a camera, use a tripod. If your phone, make up some sort of rest. Watch out for shadows on the backdrop - can't have any. Lighting the backdrop independently will help with that. Don't worry about unwanted stuff that may in the photo, so long as I can crop a decent-sized RECTANGULAR margin around the object leaving NOTHING but white. I can change intensity, temperature, brightness, fill shadows, etc. Color pics are fine, I will convert to B&W.