Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yes, maybe but there is also supposed to be a report of a certain amount of gold or silver sold by a dealer. I simply don't know of any that do that unless it's a heck of a lot of money changing hands 10,000.00 and over. I don't believe it is a set amount but based on what someone thinks is happening, sort of like in the banks.If they suspect something it can be a small amount of cash, I don't bank at a bank and haven't for years. Credit unions are probably under some of the same rules as banks but I do know they are not under all of the same rules. How many people do you know that reported on themselves on the amount they sold stuff for? I personally don't know of any even though it was required to and was considered income to a state or the feds. Dis I tell ya I don't trust banks LOL, and I really don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the great ideas and info everyone. Maybe buy 10-20 or even 30 1 oz gold American coins to put away to pass on when I pass on. This was never intended to be a SHTF thing but it kind of went there to so hey it's all good.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

2. Default

Buy them because you like them.

Liberty quarters were worn out when I was a kid(1957) but I always liked them. But I don't have that collector$ kind of gene. I did pick up coke bottles and turned them in for a whole .10 cents. Of course all those old folks who did collect silver coins never got to collect on them because the neighbor kids or their kids knew about them and bought candy with them.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Liberty quarters were worn out when I was a kid(1957) but I always liked them. But I don't have that collector$ kind of gene. I did pick up coke bottles and turned them in for a whole .10 cents. Of course all those old folks who did collect silver coins never got to collect on them because the neighbor kids or their kids knew about them and bought candy with them.
    +1

The Liberty quarter was not a good design (structurally). The dates and fine detail wore off quickly. I too like them with the big eagle on the back but never saw a nice one in circulation.

If the old folks had known what was going to happen sooner after 1964 they would have hoarded more silver for the future generation like Bud is thinking of doing now with gold. What I remember about the 50's was we were in a recession and money was tight. Back then there was no unemployment compensation to fall back on that I know of and no welfare so people had to work and were constantly afraid of losing their jobs. Still, I feel most everyone has at least a few pre-1965 coins in their closets.
    Last edited by Allen; 09-10-2021 at 07:40.

https://americanfoundingprinciples.c...onal-currency/

This is money as defined by the Constitution and this is the coin I have referred to. HTH
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
    https://americanfoundingprinciples.c...onal-currency/

This is money as defined by the Constitution and this is the coin I have referred to. HTH
    My only reservation about using gold for large purchases or for saving is that now days you will need documentation that your coins or bar bullion are real. You would want proof too and not just from a local coin dealer who could be mistaken himself.

I think when it comes to high dollar items like this that can easily be faked most assume it is.

Yup. If you want to go back to the 1880's then you need to be up on the eighteen eighties.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

The old cash registers had a black marble shelf which was for testing gold and silver.
    Silver had a distinctive ringing sound. Not sure how they tested gold
    In the Robin Hood movie the Sheriff tested it with his teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
    The old cash registers had a black marble shelf which was for testing gold and silver.
    Silver had a distinctive ringing sound. Not sure how they tested gold
    In the Robin Hood movie the Sheriff tested it with his teeth.
    From what I see on Pawn Stars an acid test is done on gold. The problem with that is a hole has to be drilled to make sure the item isn't merely plated. Not everyone would be in favor of that or could do it. The same is done with silver but not needed with recognized worn coins.

10. Default

A simple abrasive stone and acid are the easiest test for gold plated. Every pawn shop uses it, and take about 30 seconds for results.

The Russians became famous for faking gold coins, but they were making small denomination coins using real gold. The collector value of the coins far exceeded the actual gold content.