1. Default Prices for cut down rifles?

I looked on Gunbroker trying to get a general idea of what common cut down rifles sell for but didn't see much, what are you guys seeing for rifles cut down to sporter carbine lenghts? Thank you.

I would think a cut down rifle would be good for the value of its remaining unaltered parts.
    The stock would have no collector value.
    If the barrel were cut, it would have no collector value.
    Only the Lock and mounting screws, rear sight and screws, receiver, tang screw, rear barrel band, band spring, Butt plate and screws, trigger plate and screws, trigger, maybe the trigger guard if it hasnt had the swivel ground off, and of course the breech block and parts could all be sold for just under the going rate so somebody would buy them.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-07-2021 at 11:08.

3. Default

Thanks Fred, so no shooter value necessarily. Is maybe $200 to $400 ballpark? I'm asking because a local shop has one for $375. Nice bore but cut stock and barrel (nicely done dovetail for front sight), not refinished so parts are original condition (average). I think it was a rod bayonet rifle from the 1890's originally and I thought it might be a fun shooter but don't like overpaying.

your price is about what Al Frasca would ask for what he called cowboy guns.

Brad, if you want it to shoot and you don’t care about it not having any Collector value, then buy it if you like it.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Thanks Fred, so no shooter value necessarily. Is maybe $200 to $400 ballpark? I'm asking because a local shop has one for $375. Nice bore but cut stock and barrel (nicely done dovetail for front sight), not refinished so parts are original condition (average). I think it was a rod bayonet rifle from the 1890's originally and I thought it might be a fun shooter but don't like overpaying.
    So did you get it?

Brad, $350 sounds good to me - better than buying a reproduction (some of which like the H&R are a little less than Jake). A little more barrel than the carbine is a big improvement on the 45-70 round - at least if you are shooting black powder. A full-length infantry rifle is too much to carry in the field or ride in a gun rack. Go for it and god luck

jn

Off the subject a little, but when I was in High School my neighbor (same age) brought down his grandfathers
    cut down 1873 trapdoor from Wisconsin, Both barrel and stock were cut down many years ago. his grandfather
    had hunted deer with it until he was too old. I bought a nice 45-70 tong tool and we modified a ice pick to de-
    prime the cases. We bought 20 cases, primers and black powder at the local gun show. the tong tool would
    cast a nice 405 gr bullet and had a sizer too. We primed the cases with the tool and loaded the cartridges also
    with the tool. Looking back, the tong tool worked out really well and he enjoyed shooting the trapdoor.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    So did you get it?
    Yep, I went ahead and bought it to play with, it'll save some wear and tear on my originals.