Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Something for the lever gunners

A pre-64 94 in 32 Win. Spl made in my birth year. A new yet unfired R92 .44 Rem. Mag I picked up a couple days ago. I will pair this one up with my Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. I'm looking for a few more of those Rossi's and first on the list is a .454 Cassull (sp?) for more serious stuff.
    Attachment 49604Attachment 49605Attachment 49606
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

2. Default

Is the .32 d&t for a receiver sight? Neither of my post war 94s are.
    Got several old Lyman Cast manuals but I'm looking for a heavy cast design for the .32.

No, I adopted the Bear Creek Supply 180 gr lead bullet for this rifle. They shoot good and the price was good to.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

I went thru a lever action spell a few years ago.

I still have my Marlin 336T 30-30 (straight stock with brass saddle ring) made and bought in 1970 somewhere at my mothers house.

I bought a 94 Winchester made in 1907 (30-30) because it was a saddle ring carbine.

I bought a Rossi 92 in 44 mag in stainless. Then I bought a Rossi 92 in 357 stainless followed by the same in blue, one old style and one new style with the safety on top of the receiver (both 357) plus one more 357 with a short (16"?) barrel and big loop cocking handle.

Then I got into the Marlins buying a 1892 22LR with a 36" half oct/half round barrel, a 1897 carbine and a 39M (straight stock). I also got into parts for the 39's including a receiver or two.

I've shot the 22's but not the center fire models---none of them except my 336 which I've had since I was a teen. Except for the 336 I bought everything including the parts from sellers on GB.

I know the Henry's are good guns---I just don't care for the looks of them.

I need to get on the ball and shoot.

Sounds like you have a nice start on a collection of lever guns, as I grew older I again came to appreciate them. For a generally short range (under 200 yards) there is in my opinion nothing better or more pleasing and comfortable to the hand than a iron sighted lever gun to carry. They just feel good in the hand. Most game is shot at or under 100 yards and with a good peep type sight they just cant be beat in most light conditions, again just my opinion. I do have a couple that are good out past 200 yards, one is a Winchester Mod 95 30-40 Krag and the other is a Browning BLR in 6.5 Creedmore and both of those have the ability to reach far and deliver enough to work on most game. I do wish that I had bought a Marlin 39 but oh well to late smart to soon old.
    BudT
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Like most of us I grew up during the popularity of TV western shows. Every time you turned on TV you saw a Winchester lever or a Colt SAA. Those memories stick forever.

My dad had a Win 95 in the 30-40 Krag. We still have it. It's a carbine version that supposedly was issued during the Spanish-American war.

The Marlin 39's have become ridiculously priced. A Henry might be a good subsitute if you desire a 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    . . . . . .Then I got into the Marlins buying a 1892 22LR with a 36" half oct/half round barrel . . . . .
    Allen . . .Are you sure about that barrel length? . . .

In Brophy?s book, on page 188, he states,

? . . . .But available on order were octagon and round 26- and 28-in. barrels, as well as 24-, 26- and 28-in. half-octagon barrels. . . .?

No mention of a 36? barrel.

(I also have a 1907-vintage Winchester M?94, 32 Special, octagon, that shoots ?lights out? with my handloads.)

(Again, that pesky query appears instead of quotation marks or apostrophes.)
    Last edited by JimF; 09-03-2021 at 07:49.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Allen . . .Are you sure about that barrel length? . . .

In Brophy?s book, on page 188, he states,

? . . . .But available on order were octagon and round 26- and 28-in. barrels, as well as 24-, 26- and 28-in. half-octagon barrels. . . .?

No mention of a 36? barrel.

(I also have a 1907-vintage Winchester M?94, 32 Special, octagon, that shoots ?lights out? with my handloads.)

(Again, that pesky query appears instead of quotation marks or apostrophes.)
    Good catch Jim. I shouldn't post out of memory. It IS a 26". Luckily I have that gun within reach so I went and measured it. Besides the Win 95 my father had a Marlin 1894 in 25-20, pistol grip stock, factory checkered with fancy walnut. It has a 36" barrel (if I'm not mistaken again). Perhaps that was what I was thinking. I remember seeing the 1892 on GB and thinking "I've never seen one of those with that long a barrel in the half rd/half oct", so I bought it (the 1892).

My 1907 Win has the 3 flip up leaf rear sight. One of the leaf's is broken (looks to be a common fault) so I bought an (original) replacement but haven't put it on yet. That sight was $200. I only paid about $700 for the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    My dad had a Win 95 in the 30-40 Krag. We still have it. It's a carbine version that supposedly was issued during the Spanish-American war.
    Model 95 carbines weren't actually "issued" but they were used by officers who bought them at their own expense. T.R. not only carried one but. it is told, he offered to buy them for any of his officers who preferred them to the Krag carbine (can't verify that part but it sounds like T.R..)

Oh, and on the Model 39, when Remington bought Marlin they were able to slop through making the center fire lever guns until they got it right (more or less.) The Model 39 was a different story and the story went around that Remington would never...ever be able to make a satisfactory Model 39. That seems to have been true. The Model 39 became a custom shop model at Remington, probably assembled on left over receivers and other left over forged action parts. The Model 39 was never cheap but now even nice used models are priced out of the budget of most folks. I gave my primo Model 39A carbine to my brother who definitely appreciates it!!!
    Last edited by Art; 09-03-2021 at 11:15.

Thanks for the info. Our Win 95 has no military markings. The upper wooden handguard is missing. Don't know if it was made that way or just got taken off many decades ago. Like I said, it is a carbine model not the rifle model. It has 20 fine, neat 1/4" paralel cuts or markings on the edge of the right hand side of the stock where the buttplate is.

Story has it that represents 20 kills but none of us were there so... I don't know where the gun came from prior to my Dad obtaining it. I'm 68 and remember it from my childhood. It's a keepsake for us so it wouldn't matter who, what or where the gun has been.

My 39 is the Mountie model probably made in the 70's--80's. I have one completly assembled receiver for a 39A (pistol grip) and other receiver parts that could/would have to be fitted together for the 39A and parts to complete them. These are the older parts from the same era as stated above. The barrels which have the left side of the receiver attached are JM marked.