Default A link to an interview about the Danish Sirius patrol inspired by pickaxes thread

Concerning Danish 1917's. I have a Dane 1917(and some Danish). At least, I like to think it's Danish. It has some modifications, and I can never keep it straight, whether the Danes did it or the exporting country did it. I should know this(roll pin front site and smoothed follower). This vid is an interview by a couple of former military guys of a former Sirius Patrol soldier. He went on to Afghanistan and then into the corporate world as a, I'm going to keep it simple and say, motivator.
    It's long. I skipped over some. A drink or two won't hurt. A very cool guy with a story about things most of us won't ever do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ekhw2NMUE

https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/...ury-greenland/

-these were of the rechambered .303 British style which were duly “un-rechambered” back to .30-06-
    The .303 is wimpy, from tests shooting at rocks. Me.
    Last edited by dryheat; 08-23-2021 at 11:23.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Blog Entries

there are some errors in that article,

1917's and P14's have slightly different actions, so to chamber one in 303 the rechamber and then back doesn't really work that well, if at all,

(303 is slightly shorter then 30.06)

this guy doe a good comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX4QEZYH62k

the notch was done in Norway,

they had a supply of ammo, and a supply of German 8mm clips, so they made do, only the german clips did not fit the clip slot in the receiver, so a clip slot was added and that necessitated the notch cut in the front receiver ring,

some good info here, including some pics of my US/Canadian/Norwegian/Danish rifle

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/us...rifle.1191437/

The Gunboards thread has a lot of information. I'll have to re read that. My rifle has red paint, but it is forward all the way to the stacking swivel with 30-06 written in black(like in the picture). No Danish markings. There are two different notches mentioned; A lot of 1917's have been converted to big game bullets. I've seen a rifle with the notch in the receiver. My 1917 is accurate as all get out and one of my favorites.
    Last edited by dryheat; 08-23-2021 at 11:35.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Some great links guys, thanks !

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    The Gunboards thread has a lot of information. I'll have to re read that. My rifle has red paint, but it is forward all the way to the stacking swivel with 30-06 written in black(like in the picture). No Danish markings. There are two different notches mentioned; A lot of 1917's have been converted to big game bullets. I've seen a rifle with the notch in the receiver. My 1917 is accurate as all get out and one of my favorites.
    The 30/06 had the red paint on the end of the stock. I have P14s with the paint around the receiver including the bolt, trigger guard and stock. All of my de-milled 303s have a white band added to the red band around the receiver.

F. Guffey

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    The 30/06 had the red paint on the end of the stock. I have P14s with the paint around the receiver including the bolt, trigger guard and stock. All of my de-milled 303s have a white band added to the red band around the receiver.

F. Guffey
    different meanings,

the red on the nose was for a different caliber, 1903's and others were done the same,

the Red stripes on the body, action wise, are DP (Drill Purpose)

7. Default

the Red stripes on the body, action wise, are DP (Drill Purpose)
    I understand there is one logical answer; not a problem for me because I was 6 years old when the war came to an end. For those that delta with 2 rifles that looked similar would think any rifle with the forfend painted red was a 30/06. That leaves rifles that looked similar with no paint was a 303.

Problem, we did not paint our M1917s with red paint, we did not use the P14, the British did. All of my P14s have been painted
    red around the receiver, bolt and trigger guard. The red paint on my P14s have old, worn, chipped and dirty red painted bands.
    All of my P 14s DPs have a bright, clean white band as in added later when the rifles were DP-ed.

I say this because I feel so blessed, I saw an old picture of British dressed shooters shooting the P14 with a painted band around the receiver with no white band. And then not far from the picture of the red banded P14 was a picture of shooters shooting M1917 with red a painted bands around the forward end of the stock. The pictures were in black and white.

Back to being blessed; I am the only person that received the P14s with the red band around the receiver before the white band was added.

I was told none of this exist because he had never seen one. I took a picture of 3 rifles with extra receivers and trigger guards and then posted the pictures. No kind word.

F. Guffey

Blog Entries

post those pics over on one or all of the following

here,
    Gunboards Enfield section (I know you are a member there)
    or
    Milsurps, in the Enfield section

there is a large contingent of folks from commonwealth countries that would love to see those pics

i didnt know the Danes had M1917s. im going to have to look into these!

10. Default

No kind word.
    I require one kind word for 40 snarky responses.

F. Guffey