Thread: Range time with the '88

Hybrid View

When I bring my krag carbine I get
    . that 'What is that' look. Where can I get that Spencer book on trapdoors?

kj47, Here is the link patwolf4570book@aol.com or www.4570book.info.
    It’s a great book. You can adjust the loads in his book to your rifle as I have done. Have used the full 70 gr. but I find it most relieving on the shoulder to reduce the loads to 58 gr with a 405 gr hollow base round nose bullet. I use a 459 diameter bullet that I cast with 20-1 lead in a lee mold. This works well for me especially since my range has a max of 200 yards.
    Enjoy his book.

Thanks Carlsr, I'll order that book. I've fired some old black powder 45/70s in my trapdoor carbine years ago and OUCH! I don't cast bullets but may have to get into it!

Book ordered, looks like alot of info in it.

Quote Originally Posted by kj47 View Post
    Book ordered, looks like alot of info in it.
    Alright, kj . . . .welcome to the ?club?!

After you read Spence and Pat?s book,. . . .and you get into handloading for it . . . .

I suggest you mark your brass in some fashion to indicate the enlarged flash hole.

This will ensure (to a degree) that the case will not be loaded with smokeless powder in the future.

I merely ?nicked? the case head with the tip of the .096? drill bit, thusly . . . .

Here is a pic of my ?code.?. . . . .DB754FA0-FB2A-4692-8D8B-4CF0169CFFD1.jpg

Now I KNOW my ammo is loaded with BLACK!

- - - Updated - - -

Dunno WHY my posts are showing ? instead of quotation marks and apostrophes!

Thanks Jimf, having trouble getting black locally. Hopefuly this will ease up, only have triple 7 on hand.

Spence & Wolf book came in today, gonna retire to the back room& go start reading.

Quote Originally Posted by kj47 View Post
    Thanks Jimf, having trouble getting black locally. Hopefuly this will ease up, only have triple 7 on hand.
    kj47, Buffalo Arms is saying that they have Goex, Old-E and Swiss in stock price is up a little from when I got mine plus a flat hazardous shipping fee.