Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Range time with the '88

Took my 1888 to the range today, shoots about 12' high @ 75 yds. Using cowboy loads by supermax. Got 5" group from a rest, wondering if bullets are undersized. All in all a good day with some pistol time.

Believe it or not, some TDs will shoot MOA to 200 yards at least, from the bench, when EVERYTHING is "perfect", so you have a goal to look forward to! The best accuracy is only obtained by reloading your own, and getting a lot of practice. "Cowboy loads" are extremely safe, and probably one of the the best ways to start, but are not noted for their gilt-edged accuracy! Get Spence Wolf's book.

These kind of posts and responses ... ought to be marked "Danger!!!" I read these threads and start getting crazy ideas about finding a TD ... casting ... loading ... you know! Good luck to you as you enjoy your rifle! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by kj47 View Post
    Took my 1888 to the range today, shoots about 12' high @ 75 yds. . . . . .
    I’m thinking you meant 12 INCHES . . . .not 12 FEET!

Also thinking the bullets are undersized . . . .I size to .461” dia.

Get MUCH greater accuracy by doing so!

Yes I missed typed. I will slug the bore. It has a pristine bore so with a little work I should be able to close the group up some. Thanks Dick & JimF.
    Bruce, you have to get one of these! A real head turner at the range.

kj47, I agree with Dick you need to get Spence's book it covers everything you need to know about the TD on reloading, loads, sights, ballistics, loading equipment and where to get it.

Jim O

Quote Originally Posted by kj47 View Post
    Yes I missed typed. I will slug the bore. It has a pristine bore so with a little work I should be able to close the group up some. Thanks Dick & JimF.
    Bruce, you have to get one of these! A real head turner at the range.
    Yep! That's just the problem! I recently got a .30-40 Krag infantry rifle. Bubbaed but not terminally. Have almost finished unbubbaizing it. Only need handguard and upper band to have it just about like 1902. Bore is just gorgeous! Kind helpful board members here at CSP and CMP and Smith & Wesson Forum have been a big help, especially w/ brass, dies, etc. Can't say how much people gawk when they see it. It is a pretty thing! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

When I bring my krag carbine I get
    . that 'What is that' look. Where can I get that Spencer book on trapdoors?

kj47, Here is the link patwolf4570book@aol.com or www.4570book.info.
    It’s a great book. You can adjust the loads in his book to your rifle as I have done. Have used the full 70 gr. but I find it most relieving on the shoulder to reduce the loads to 58 gr with a 405 gr hollow base round nose bullet. I use a 459 diameter bullet that I cast with 20-1 lead in a lee mold. This works well for me especially since my range has a max of 200 yards.
    Enjoy his book.

Thanks Carlsr, I'll order that book. I've fired some old black powder 45/70s in my trapdoor carbine years ago and OUCH! I don't cast bullets but may have to get into it!