Thread: Carrier Mishaps

Default Carrier Mishaps

Interesting video describing some of the things that can go wrong on a flight deck.

This guy is pretty good. He did a in depth breakdown of how the Blue Angels work.
    Last edited by dryheat; 08-02-2021 at 09:50.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

From what I've been told by aircraft carrier crews, every time a carrier sails the crew knows there is an excellent chance somebody won't be coming back. It's just that dangerous.

My hat goes off to anyone who crews an aircraft that lands and takes off from the deck of a ship and the other sailors, especially the flight deck crews, that support them.
    Last edited by Art; 08-02-2021 at 08:58.

The Lexington was anchored off the Texas coast in the Gulf of Mexico. We sent planes out there for carrier training. When I got out of the Navy we were transitioning from A-4F's to the T-2's. I think they were referred to as The Guppy's(they looked like one to me. I wasn't impressed stylewise with the A-4 and the Guppy was a step down). So, I'm guessing the piece where the T-2 trainee loses control and hits the island was a little while after I left in 1973(1989 per vid. Yikes, I'm getting old). Since then, I believe there is a new sled dog.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0F&FORM=VDQVAP

https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...2-buckeye.html

The commentator mentions the quick action by the sailors on deck. I thought the guy diving into the hole was taking cover, he was getting the hose out to fight the fire. That's training and team.
    Last edited by dryheat; 08-03-2021 at 12:29.

A long night, from the PBS miniseries some years ago.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

Not my cup of tea.
    Guess that's why I joined the Army many years ago and that turned out to be a "hairy enough experience"
    Last edited by Former Cav; 08-10-2021 at 05:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Cav View Post
    Not my cup of tea.
    Guess that's why I joined the Army many years ago and that turned out to be a "hairy enough experience"
    Yup, a lot of things that you thought were going to be fun a 18 didn't turn out to be all that much fun at 23.