1. Default Winchester A5 scope block

I just bought a 1922 22 caliber Springfield with scope bases. There is no eyebrow cut on the bases so they must be for a Winchester A5 scope. The puzzling thing is that there is the little hole on both sides of the base. Can anyone tell me what other scope these bases might fit?
    Thanks

The Lyman 5A.

3. Default

Hi Jim
    So the bases for the Winchester A5 have the holes in the left side of the base while the bases for the Lyman 5A have holes on both sides of the base?

Is the rear base mounted on the receiver or barrel just ahead of receiver? I have a Springfield Sporter that letters with "fitted with base for Winchester telescopic sight", and the rear base was barrel mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    . . . .while the bases for the Lyman 5A have holes on both sides of the base?
    I?m not sure, Krag. . .

I only have the Lyman scope on my M1922 . . . .

Believe it or not, whoever installed the two mounts on this Lyman, installed the FRONT mount 180 degrees different than the REAR!!

I had to reverse one of my bases on the rifle to accommodate the pin on the front mount.

BOTH of my bases have only the ONE hole on ONE side.

As you can figure . . .I bought the scope, bases, and rifle, on three different occasions, so my set-up may be non-typical!

Sorry to be of such little help. ?Jim

Blog Entries

I have a Lyman 5A 8x installed on a Winchester 75,

I cannot remember how many holes if any are on the side of the mounts, but the mounts are wider then a normal Unertl/Lyman type,

this reminds me that I need to take a day off and get some pics of this, since I promised CplNorton I would post them long ago, (cannot remember if it was here or on GBoards)
    and need to get some pics for another member in the M14 section,,

never enough time

7. Default

Bases are mounted on an unusual 1922 Springfield 22. The bases are both mounted on the barrel, but the rear base is slightly undercut to clear the receiver at the rear of the base. The unusual feature is that there is a small hole on both sides of the base. This particular rifle came with the T1 bolt designed by John Garand and developed from 1926-1929.