Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Olympics

Default The Olympics

Was a big fan as a kid, and there are some contests that still captivate me.

But there are too many obscure sports, both new (skateboarding) and old (badminton), where the number of participants exceeds the number of fans worldwide. And China tries to rack up its tally by getting golds in the sports that nobody else cares about.

And worse, the whole site selection process is just an exercise in sending bribes to Geneva.

Best thing IMO would be a year where no county volunteered to host. Then maybe people take a fresh look, see how rotten the IOC has become.

The Olympics is dying. It's been dying for almost 50 years. Attempts to revive it have been minimally successful at best.

There will come a day when the number of desirable cities willing to host the Olympics will reach the critical point and that day may only be a few years off.

Sports no one else cares about have a long tradition in the Olympics, that part doesn't bother me, hey, everybody needs their day in the sun. The corruption does.

Me too. I remember sitting in front of the t.v. with my family and being mesmerized by the Olympics. Curling, not so much. Things get too big to handle. Creeps messing with the girls. Guys who are girls. Terrorists attacks. I don't know how Geneva finds the time to rule the world and get the Olympics underway too.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Re: Geneva. Everybody wants to rule the world. The flavor of the day olympics ... not so much. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

5. Default

In some ways the olympics are more professional than pro sports. I no longer care for either.

Just hold them in Greece or? every four years. All nations put into the pot to cover costs which should lower since everything will be in place already.

7. Default

Not enough excitement; how 'bout adding sharks to synchronized swimming?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    Just hold them in Greece or? every four years. All nations put into the pot to cover costs which should lower since everything will be in place already.
    and the original games only,

have them all compete as the Greeks did, naked as a jaybird, (supposedly)

then see if attendance and TV viewership goes up

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    and the original games only,

have them all compete as the Greeks did, naked as a jaybird, (supposedly)

then see if attendance and TV viewership goes up
    Gymnasium comes from Greek words meaning place for exercising naked.

I think viewership for the nudist Olympics would depend a bit on the event and what the individual competitor looked like . There was an Australian swimmer named Dawn Fraser, a true wild child, who competed at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. She once said times would come down in swimming if the races were swum nude. That was before the current high tech suits of course. During the said '64 Olympics; IIRC Fraser was actually arrested for trespassing on the Imperial Palace grounds. She escaped with a reprimand.
    Last edited by Art; 08-01-2021 at 05:06. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

modern tv could blank out or pixelate the naughty bits, so they won't offend anyone,

but it does seem we have Olympic sports that maybe should not be